Red flag: Kenseth-Logano tangle leads to 9-car wreck in Sprint Unlimited; Stenhouse slams into Danica Patrick
Feb 15, 2014, 9:19 PM EST
A major wreck has brought out a race-stopping red flag in the second segment of Saturday night’s Sprint Unlimited at Daytona International Speedway.
After Terry Labonte retired midway through the 30-lap first segment and Jimmie Johnson‘s night came to an end in a single-car wreck on the last lap of the same segment, there were only 16 cars remaining for the second segment.
There were nine cars that were involved in the wreck on Lap 6 of the second segment, which was slated to be 25 laps. Drivers involved were Danica Patrick, Carl Edwards, Matt Kenseth, Ricky Stenhouse Jr., Jeff Gordon, Kevin Harvick, Joey Logano, Tony Stewart and Kurt Busch.
It appeared Kenseth tried to go to the bottom of the track, but caught the front end of Logano’s and went spinning.
“I was just easing my way down there and had no idea Joey was that close to me and our cars got hooked together,” Kenseth said. “I feel bad all those cars got wrecked. It’s not the way you want to start a season, for sure.”
All four Stewart Haas Racing drivers – Stewart, Patrick, Busch and Harvick – were involved in the wreck. Stewart, in his first race since suffering multiple fractures to his right leg in a sprint car crash August 5, came out of his wrecked car slowly but appeared uninjured.
“We just needed a couple inches here or there and probably would have gotten through it,” Stewart said after leaving the infield care center. “I was a little nervous at all. It doesn’t feel bad at all. I don’t have any pain. We’ll see what happens when the adrenaline wears off, but so far I feel really good and really happy about it.”
Ironically, Stenhouse, who is dating Patrick, plowed into the side of her car, who had escaped unscathed up to that point. It was speculated that Stenhouse may have lost his brakes or steering, or possibly just could not see where his car was going due to the resulting front end damage, leading up to Stenhouse plowing into the left side of Patrick’s car.
“I tried to look over the hood and all of a sudden hit something really hard, and obviously it was her, sitting sideways and I just really destroyed her car,” Stenhouse said of Patrick. “She’d have been alright if I hadn’t it her, so that’s not good.”
Patrick seemed to take the crash in stride: “I got hit by my boyfriend. What a bummer, right? But he said his hood was up and couldn’t see anything. Not the way I wanted (the race) to go at all.”
The second segment restarted after about a 25-minute stoppage with only nine cars — half of the original 18-driver field.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 1
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 53
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1