Updated: Jimmie Johnson’s car fails pre-qualifying inspection for being 1/10,000th of an inch too wide
Feb 16, 2014, 1:49 PM EST
UPDATE No. 2: Chad Knaus and the rest of the No. 48 crew have fixed the width and side skirt issues, as well as the light weight issue, but Jimmie Johnson could do no better than 14th on the speed charts for Daytona 500 qualifying.
UPDATE No. 1: Chad Knaus and the crew have fixed the width and the side skirt issues, but in the process of removing spacers, wound up 1.5 pounds light, according to Fox Sports. They’re now working on that issue.
When it comes to enforcing its tighter rules, NASCAR made it very clear in Sunday’s qualifying for the front row of the Daytona 500 that it won’t give anyone a break — not even defending Sprint Cup champion Jimmie Johnson.
According to Fox Sports, Johnson’s No. 48 Chevrolet failed pre-qualifying tech inspection when it was found to be 1/10,000th of an inch too wide and the side skirts were less than 1/64th of an inch too long.
The car was sent back to the garage area for crew chief Chad Knaus and the rest of the team to reign in the out of tolerance numbers. The width issue should be taken care of fairly easily by simply taking one or two spacers off the wheel hub — essentially a washer or two.
Check back here on NBC Sports’ MotorSportsTalk with more updates on Johnson’s situation as qualifying continues.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Joey Logano wins Vegas pole, Penske claims front row again 0
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)