Updated: Kyle Busch wonders if there’s a conspiracy theory to put 88 and 3 on Daytona 500 front row

Feb 16, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT

Kyle Busch is closing in on a significant milestone: he needs to lead just 30 laps at Richmond on April 26 to reach 10,000 laps led in his Sprint Cup career. Given that he doesn't turn 29 until early May, Busch conceivably could hit 25,000 or maybe even 30,000 laps led in his career if he continues at his current pace. Getty Images

Update: Kyle Busch‘s belief in a conspiracy theory to put the 88 of Dale Earnhardt Jr. and the No. 3 of Austin Dillon was half right. Dillon earns the pole, with a surprising effort that puts Martin Truex Jr. on the outside pole. Meanwhile, after sitting atop the speed charts for much of the session, Earnhardt fell to just seventh-fastest in his qualifying effort.

Whether you like him or not, Kyle Busch is never afraid to speak his mind — and did he ever during front row qualifying Sunday for next Sunday’s 56th Daytona 500.

When asked by Fox Sports anchor Chris Myers whether he thought Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s early pole-setting speed of 195.211 mph was going to hold up, Kyle Busch was … well, Kyle Busch.

“I don’t know, you know,” Busch said. “People do believe in conspiracy theories and whether the 88 and the 3 (driven by rookie Austin Dillon) are going to sit on the front row together, who’s going to be the pole sitter, we’re not sure. We’ll find out.”

“Oh boy,” Myers said with an uncomfortable laugh. “We haven’t even gone there but we know exactly what he’s talking about, don’t we?”

To which analyst and two-time Daytona 500 winner Michael Waltrip remarked, “I’ve heard that.”

Later in the broadcast, analyst Jeff Hammond caught up with Dillon and asked “Looking up at that leaderboard, how cool would it be to have that No. 3 alongside Dale Earnhardt Jr. in that No. 88?”

With teammates Ryan Newman still to make his qualifying run and Paul Menard being second to Earnhardt on the speed charts, Dillon replied, “I think it would be really special, but hopefully the RCR cars can take over the front row, for sure. That’d be cool. I’ve got Newman right here with me and Paul’s in second. It would be really special, though. … Our Dow Chevrolet’s fast. Hopefully we can put it where it deserves.”

As it turned out, though, the 88 and 3 will not be on the front row. Greg Biffle spoiled those plans with his qualifying effort, knocking Earnhardt off the pole with a very stout speed of 195.818 mph. Martin Truex Jr. then knocked Biffle off the front row, making it Dillon and Truex at the head of the pack for next Sunday’s Daytona 500.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

1. wallio - Feb 16, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Once again Rowdy says what everyone is thinking. Love it!

• twpguy1964 - Feb 16, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Once again Nascars fan base proves it’s one of the dumbest. It was said tongue in cheek and then you have pathetic trolls who write it as fact. SMH! I’ve watched Nascar for 40 years and it has the most pathetic, whining fan base of most sports.

• jtipton30 - Feb 17, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Nascar has to do something due to the sport dying. Like you I have been a fan for 40 years but in that time I have come to know the parties involved that run the sport. I assure you there are times when Nascar allows things to drive ratings. Examples Richard Petty’s 200th win…Gordons Titanium wheels…..Jimmy Johnsons 200 extra horsepower… And those are just the ones that were brought to media. When ratings suck like they do now. Look for the 3 car to do well. The only thing that can ressurect Nascar would be a Dale Earnhardt ghost story! Keep in mind he was my favorite driver as well!

• wolfgangmonet - Feb 17, 2014 at 11:35 AM

AMAZING—- I was wondering how long it would take Kyle doush to start whinning like a little girl when things are not his way. The Daytona is going to be one hell of a race this year especially when the pace car burns up. They should use a toyota with a stuck accelerator pedal on it.

• yeager1787 - Feb 17, 2014 at 6:37 PM

ONCE AGAIN, KYLE BUSCH OPENS HIS MOUTH, AND CRAP COMES OUT. KYLE, YOU NEED A GOOD SHRINK. PERIOD. WITH 49 CARS ATTEMPTING TO MAKE THE FRONT ROW, HOW WOULD 47 DRIVERS AGREE TO SUCH A STUNT AND KEEP QUIET. I THOUGHT BY KNOW THIS LITTLE JACKASS ( KYLE BUSCH ) WOULD HAVE GROWN UP. HE PROVED ME WRONG. KYLE, HERE IS A CONSPIRACY THEROY FOR YOU, EVERY SINGLE RACE YOU HAVE ONE , NATIONWIDE, CAMPING WORLD AND SPRINT CUP HAS BEEN FIXED !!!!!…….GET MY POINT STUPID ASS!!!!!!!

P.S. YOUR NICKNAME SHOULD BE CHANGE FROM “ROWDY” TO “ASS.”

BOB YEAGER

2. dan46778 - Feb 16, 2014 at 2:59 PM

I think so

3. jobber33 - Feb 16, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Pretty funny since Jr is in 6th you stupid a@@ people. I have no doubt that they have something in place for the 3 and they ALWAYS have the 48in their plans. They don’t have to help Jr because no matter win or lose people love him. they’re trying to make Johnson into the new Petty.

4. mpzz - Feb 16, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Gee, childish, petulant Kyle Busch is whining about something. What a surprise.

5. onbucky96 - Feb 16, 2014 at 5:03 PM

What, like how JR. somehow magically gained speed at the Summer Daytona race to win? I’m shocked, shocked, someone would accuse NASCAR of rigging an event.

6. manik56 - Feb 16, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Too good to be true to have the 3 on pole. I call BS too.

7. 1pwrightt - Feb 16, 2014 at 5:56 PM

I think Nascar is desperate to get ratings.

8. smackingfools - Feb 16, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Let’s not forget who was on the pole last year.. Danika. Interesting.

9. stew48 - Feb 17, 2014 at 9:17 AM

What bothered me is that I read (I think) that Dale, Sr.s Mother just hoped the car was not black. If my eyes were ok, it was primarily black. I am a Donnie Allison fan and still haven’t forgiven Cale.

10. timaug - Feb 17, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Might be something to it.
    Nascar used to be a straight up, straight forward set of events.
    Young france has REALLY MESSED THAT UP.
    Now we are not sure what we are getting.
    A japanese car is now racing ?
    NO NASCAR FAN IS HAPPY ABOUT THAT.
    Japan is.

11. chad4208 - Feb 17, 2014 at 11:41 AM

this is some of the dumbest set of comments I have ever heard in my life. The 48 cars 200 extra horsepower? Nascar Orchestrated Pettys 200th win for ratings? What does Toyota racing have to do with ANYTHING? I don’t give a crap about manufacturer, I care about racing. If brand is more important to you than racing then you aren’t really a race fan are you?

If NASCAR was soooo desperate for ratings, maybe they would actually listen to what the fans want for once…. Besides, maybe none of you noticed, Austin Dillion was on top of the single car speed charts the majority of the time through January testing, and the single car practice sessions, more consistently than anyone one else. Biffle, on Saturday and the other RCR cars came close. So…. HE was my pick for pole based on performance, not a so called conspiracy.

BTW, I must have missed Kyles comments so I can’t say how I reacted, but the people who have commented here just enforce your own stereotype about NASCAR fans being dumb because you cant get much dumber than “Too good to be true to have the 3 on pole. I call BS too” and “I have no doubt that they have something in place for the 3 and they ALWAYS have the 48in their plans. They don’t have to help Jr because no matter win or lose people love him. they’re trying to make Johnson into the new Petty.”

12. westampacpl - Feb 17, 2014 at 12:22 PM

I used to race AMA Super Sport motorcycles at Daytona, I remember the year Dale Jr. won, the talk among tech inspectors and track officials was that he was given that race. Didn’t pay much attention at the time as how this got pulled off (Had my own race to prep for) but there does seem to be some sort of pattern in modern NASCAR. Miss the old days of actual stock cars and drivers picked for their ability and not their appearance or ability to spit out fifteen sponsor names in 10 seconds.

13. bergzee24 - Feb 17, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Please can I add another race to the conspiracy theory? How about the Wrangler #3 driven by Dale Jr. to a win. That car had power. Much more than the rest. All it takes in a restrictor plate is to have even the smallest nick to give an edge. In boxing the opposing manager watches the gloves being wrapped so no plaster of paris is added. Have the team owners inspect the plates that are given to the competitors motors. Ball sports have steriods, racing has templates. What I would like to see, like at the short tracks, a claimer race. Boy would that set Nascar racing on it’s ear. No cheating then.

14. thedude111 - Feb 18, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Austin Dillon is a tool. I do not care for him and I am rooting for his failure every time he is on the track.

15. sidewindin - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:34 AM

The plates are randomly handed out with all teams present at the time. Patrick weighs about 90 lbs. I believe that helped her get pole.
    All of RCR engines did better this year in qualifying.
    How do you the gear shifting, the line run, the wind?
    This kid is beyond good. I am an RCR fan, Dale and Dale, Jr. fan.
    But now I am an Austin Dillon fan.
    Ticket and travel pricing in the Obama Depression has been the main reason seats are empty.
    The only difference between Kyle Busch and Danica Patrick is that assumingly, Kyle’s vagina is an outy.

• sidewindin - Feb 19, 2014 at 1:37 AM

How do you control and fix the shifting, line and wind was the question.

16. larry1957 - Feb 22, 2014 at 2:37 AM

Kyle’s butt must be farting M & M’s again. What a freakin baby. Personally I think if NASCAR had any cojones, they’d have RETIRED the #3 in 2002 on the 1 year anniversary of Dale Sr’s death. NASCAR should also retire Harry Gant’s car #33, Richard Petty’s #43 and Bill Elliot’s #9. I do not like seeing the 3 drive again. I know it’s a different paint scheme, and all. In fact, the Dow #3 car looks like it was in the Disney CARS movie.

Today on NASCAR AMERICA