Richard Petty on Danica Patrick: ‘I am not a sexist by any means,’ comments were good publicity for sport
Feb 16, 2014, 6:02 PM EDT
This kind of got lost in the shuffle of Saturday’s Sprint Unlimited, but it still bears repeating.
A week after Richard Petty said the only way Danica Patrick would win a Sprint Cup race was “if everybody else stayed home,” he reiterated Saturday before the Unlimited that he should not have been criticized for his comments.
And although he may be old school conservative, Petty even went so far as to insist that by no means is he sexist — which he was roundly accused of by fans and media — for making his comments about Patrick.
“What I said is what I said, and that’s what I believe, okay?” Petty told ESPN.com. “What’s unfair is the sexist part. If her name had been Danny, okay, nobody would have said anything about it. So y’all (media and fans) are bringing up the sexist part of it, not me.
“It was definitely not sexist, okay? Hey look, I’ve been married 55 years to the same woman. So I am not a sexist by any ways. I love women.”
It was at last week’s Canadian Motorsports Expo that The King, winner of 200 career Cup races and seven Cup championships, got tongues a-waggin’ with his observations on Patrick.
In addition to his comment about her chance to win a race, Petty added, “If she’d have been a male, nobody would ever know if she’d showed up at a racetrack. … This is a female deal that’s driving her. There’s nothing wrong with that, because that’s good PR for me. More fans come out, people are more interested in it. She has helped to draw attention to the sport, which helps everybody in the sport.”
And that’s kind of what Petty did with his most recent comments Saturday. No matter if positive or negative, his comments both last week and Saturday still generated public comment and brought NASCAR a boatload of publicity and attention from both media and fans.
“There was nothing going on (in) NASCAR racing,” Petty said of when he made his comments in Canada. “Nobody was talking about Daytona,” he said. “Nobody was talking about nothing. Look at all the publicity NASCAR got and she got just for one little comment.”
Patrick thus far has not responded — yet again.
It would appear The King wants — and likely will get — the final word in this whole incident.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- For Josef Newgarden, year three is chance to enter IndyCar’s elite 0
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 1
- Keselowski wins in Vegas as Dale Jr. runs dry on final lap 2
- NHRA king John Force charging as hard in boardroom for new sponsors as on the dragstrip 0
- Who are the new rookies in F1 this season? 1
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)