Feb 17, 2014, 9:59 AM EST
A.J. Foyt Racing is providing another young driver a shot at his first Indianapolis 500 in the team’s second car, as Englishman Martin Plowman has been confirmed in the team’s No. 41 Honda for both the ’500 and Grand Prix of Indianapolis road course race earlier in the month of May.
Al-Fe Heat Treating, which announced its return to the team a couple weeks ago, will serve as primary sponsor for the road race. Foyt’s usual ABC Supply Co. primary sponsor, which is the main backer for Takuma Sato’s No. 14, is back on-board the No. 41 for the ’500.
Plowman, who raced three IndyCar events in 2011 in a jointly entered AFS-Sam Schmidt Motorsports car, follows Conor Daly (2013) and Wade Cunningham (2012) as ’500 debutantes in Foyt’s second car.
In 2013, Plowman was part of the LMP2 class-winning lineup in OAK Racing’s Morgan Nissan for both the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and Driver’s Championship at year’s end in the FIA World Endurance Championship.
“Once my career took me to sports cars I was concerned that I would never get the chance to race at and win the Indy 500,” Plowman said in a team release. “Winning at Le Mans last year was an incredible feeling that can only be beaten by one day adding my face to the Borg Warner trophy. I’ve lived in Indianapolis for the last five years, and winning there is what I dream about.
“I have to say a massive thank you to Larry and A.J. Foyt, ABC Supply, Al-Fe Heat Treating and all who have made this opportunity possible,” Plowman added. “A.J. Foyt is one of the greatest drivers to have lived and someone who I look up to a lot. It will be an honor to represent his team in May.”
Plowman won races in Indy Lights in two years in that championship, competing from 2009 to 2010. In 2012 and 2013, he’s raced the Morgan Nissan LMP2 package, first for Conquest Racing in the American Le Mans Series and then shifting to OAK for the WEC last year.
While his full 2014 calendar is yet to be determined, Plowman does have the unofficial mark of being the first Indy-only driver confirmed for the year. The race up to 33 or more cars for the ’500 officially begins now.
- Joey Logano wins Vegas pole, Penske claims front row again 0
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)