Martin Plowman confirmed for May Indy double with Foyt

Feb 17, 2014, 9:59 AM EST

Conor Daly AP

A.J. Foyt Racing is providing another young driver a shot at his first Indianapolis 500 in the team’s second car, as Englishman Martin Plowman has been confirmed in the team’s No. 41 Honda for both the ‘500 and Grand Prix of Indianapolis road course race earlier in the month of May.

Al-Fe Heat Treating, which announced its return to the team a couple weeks ago, will serve as primary sponsor for the road race. Foyt’s usual ABC Supply Co. primary sponsor, which is the main backer for Takuma Sato’s No. 14, is back on-board the No. 41 for the ‘500.

Plowman, who raced three IndyCar events in 2011 in a jointly entered AFS-Sam Schmidt Motorsports car, follows Conor Daly (2013) and Wade Cunningham (2012) as ‘500 debutantes in Foyt’s second car.

In 2013, Plowman was part of the LMP2 class-winning lineup in OAK Racing’s Morgan Nissan for both the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and Driver’s Championship at year’s end in the FIA World Endurance Championship.

“Once my career took me to sports cars I was concerned that I would never get the chance to race at and win the Indy 500,” Plowman said in a team release. “Winning at Le Mans last year was an incredible feeling that can only be beaten by one day adding my face to the Borg Warner trophy. I’ve lived in Indianapolis for the last five years, and winning there is what I dream about.

“I have to say a massive thank you to Larry and A.J. Foyt, ABC Supply, Al-Fe Heat Treating and all who have made this opportunity possible,” Plowman added.  “A.J. Foyt is one of the greatest drivers to have lived and someone who I look up to a lot. It will be an honor to represent his team in May.”

Plowman won races in Indy Lights in two years in that championship, competing from 2009 to 2010. In 2012 and 2013, he’s raced the Morgan Nissan LMP2 package, first for Conquest Racing in the American Le Mans Series and then shifting to OAK for the WEC last year.

While his full 2014 calendar is yet to be determined, Plowman does have the unofficial mark of being the first Indy-only driver confirmed for the year. The race up to 33 or more cars for the ‘500 officially begins now.

1. testover6370 - Feb 17, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Huh for some reason I thought the 500 was one of Plowman’s one-offs. I was hoping to see Daly in that seat but I’d rather see him in a seat full-time so still keeping fingers crossed there.

2. manik56 - Feb 17, 2014 at 1:06 PM

What does this mean for Daly in 2014?

• indycarseries500 - Feb 17, 2014 at 3:31 PM

AJ could always pull out the #48…

His stepdad used to be a co-owner of Panther Racing maybe he has some contacts there but I think they’re going to be forced to take a ride buyer (and to be honest sitting out a year or taking a part-time deal is probably better for a young driver than being at Panther, ask JR Hildebrand.)

3. indycar02 - Feb 17, 2014 at 5:52 PM

why cant dallara make indycar look like formula one cars. why a FAT car with REAR BUMPERS, uglyest car in history, is everybody at dallara drunk?… to much italian wine before going to work (shakes head!).

• testover6370 - Feb 18, 2014 at 12:59 AM

If they looked like Formula 1 cars they couldn’t be on network TV due to obscenity laws.

• indycar02 - Feb 18, 2014 at 2:39 PM

H U H ? ! ?…….. obscenity laws. they allways did before (year before picture above), last years car.

4. testover6370 - Feb 18, 2014 at 8:55 PM

I mean 2014 spec F1 cars with the, er, the ummm…bits on the front that look like certain body parts…

Video from NASCAR America