Feb 18, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
The No. 3 is all the talk, and all the discussion, of this year’s Speedweeks at Daytona as Austin Dillon brings the number back for Richard Childress Racing to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.
February 18 is a tragic day, as today marks 13 years since the accident on the last lap of the 2001 Daytona 500 that claimed the life of Dale Earnhardt.
Three years and three days earlier, on Feb. 15, 1998, the No. 3 was winning the Daytona 500 at long last.
That’s the thing you want to remember, when Dale Earnhardt won the Daytona 500 after 20 years of trying.
And here’s a video of that win below.
- Off The Grid Mexico Kicks Off on NBCSports.com (VIDEO) 0
- Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race 1
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 1
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 2
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5