Feb 18, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
The No. 3 is all the talk, and all the discussion, of this year’s Speedweeks at Daytona as Austin Dillon brings the number back for Richard Childress Racing to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.
February 18 is a tragic day, as today marks 13 years since the accident on the last lap of the 2001 Daytona 500 that claimed the life of Dale Earnhardt.
Three years and three days earlier, on Feb. 15, 1998, the No. 3 was winning the Daytona 500 at long last.
That’s the thing you want to remember, when Dale Earnhardt won the Daytona 500 after 20 years of trying.
And here’s a video of that win below.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1
- Insight: Planning Andretti’s Sports Marketing promotional efforts at Miami and NOLA 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 4