Feb 18, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT
In 2012, the 60th anniversary running of the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring filled the field with 64 cars. In 2014, that number grows by four, to 68 for now for the second round of the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship season (March 15) as revealed Tuesday.
There were 67 cars at Daytona, and the number jumps by one for Sebring with a few changes:
- All Prototype (P) class cars from Daytona except the GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing Corvette DP will continue onto Sebring, with GAINSCO missing for obvious reasons after the accident that injured Memo Gidley. An 18th P class car will appear from Millennium Racing, an ORECA 03 Nissan, which is intriguing because the Millennium-backed pair of drivers (Fabien Giroix, John Martin) are not listed with the second Action Express Racing car that was at Daytona. Watch this space.
- The PC class adds two cars, with the planned debut for JDC/Miller Motorsports (No. 85) and a second BAR1 Motorsports car (No. 88) entered.
- In GT Le Mans (GTLM), all 11 from Daytona are joined by the Team Falken Tire Porsche, in the first race for the 991-spec 911 RSR. Risi Competizione will need a new Ferrari F458 Italia chassis after its involvement in the GAINSCO accident.
- GT Daytona (GTD) drops from 29 to 27 cars. Gone from Daytona is the third Scuderia Corsa Ferrari 458 Italia, which was a reserve for the race per team boss Giacomo Mattioli, and another Ferrari fielded by the Russian SMP Racing squad. SMP’s participation in the TUDOR Championship was only planned for Daytona. Snow Racing is listed in a partnership with Rum Bum Racing, with a switch to the No. 13 for its entry, driven by Jan Heylen, Madison Snow and now Matt Plumb.
- There are a number of cars with TBA driver designations, as some teams confirmed their lineups only for Daytona but not for Sebring and/or the rest of the TUDOR Championship season. In the pro-am PC and GTD classes, three or four-driver lineups are allowed. If a lineup has three drivers, it can have a maximum of one Platinum or Gold-rated driver; if four drivers, two.
- Included in the TBAs is GTD Daytona winners Level 5 Motorsports, for its pair of Ferrari 458 Italias.
Apr 24, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT
Ryan Blaney and James Buescher topped Thursday’s two practice sessions for Friday’s ToyotaCare 250 NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Richmond International Raceway.
As NHRA closes in on 100 wins by female racers, it all started with one of the greatest, Shirley Muldowney
Apr 24, 2014, 10:01 PM EDT
The NHRA is just two wins away from recording 100 victories by female drivers in the sport’s all-time annals, which could happen in this weekend’s 27th annual O’Reilly Auto Parts NHRA SpringNationals presented by Super Start Batteries at Royal Purple Raceway. And while all eyes this weekend will be on drivers such as Alexis DeJoria and Courtney Force (Funny Car), Brittany and Leah Pritchett (Top Fuel) and Erica Enders-Stevens (Pro Stock) as potential candidates to set that significant milestone, it’s also time to reflect back on who started it all, the legendary Shirley “Cha Cha” Muldowney.
Apr 24, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
If you like vintage cars, collectors cars, muscle cars — pretty much anything that looks great and is on four wheels — you owe it to yourself to check out some of the fantastic rides that were up for sale Wednesday during the first day of the Mecum Kansas City auction.
Apr 24, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
The two IndyCar pilots have a blast at U.S. Space Camp before getting down to business this weekend at Barber Motorsports Park (Sun., 2:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN/NBC Sports Live Extra).
Apr 24, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT
Brad Keselowski had a dream season in 2012, winning his first NASCAR Sprint Cup championship. Now Keselowski wants a dream schedule on the Cup circuit – and some of his ideas make sense.
Patrick Carpentier returns to race Quebec’s famed Circuit Trois-Rivieres for first time in nearly 20 years
Apr 24, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
It has taken him nearly 20 years, but Patrick Carpentier is going back home to race. A veteran of several race series in his career including CART (5 wins), GP3R (2 wins), IndyCar and NASCAR, the Quebec, Canada native will return to the Circuit Trois-Rivieres street course for his first-ever FIA World Championship Rallycross race August 7-8.
Apr 24, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Don’t ask Ryan Blaney for directions, period. That’s the message in the latest edition of the Penske Files, in which a Team Penske member asks Blaney for directions to the nearest Discount Tire outlet (Discount Tire is one of Blaney’s primary sponsors in the Nationwide Series this season).
Apr 24, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
According to driver Aric Almirola, team owner Richard Petty is expected to attend Saturday’s NASCAR Toyota Owners 400 at Richmond International Raceway. It will be the first time that Petty has been at a racetrack since the death of his beloved wife Lynda on March 25.
Apr 24, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Steve O’Donnell, NASCAR’s senior vice president of racing operations, says that the process of finalizing the ’15 engine package is underway.
Apr 24, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
Brandon Davis did all he could to keep Swan Racing afloat. But even a multi-millionaire oil and gas industrialist can only bleed so much money before deciding to throw a red flag on the operation. When anticipated funding and sponsorship failed to materialized, the two-team operation sank so fast that Davis had no other choice but to essentially go out of business.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
Improved qualifying will likely yield greater results for RLL Racing at Barber this weekend.
Apr 24, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Sebastien Bourdais, Sebastian Saavedra seek their best weekends of the year at the Barber Motorsports Park event.
Apr 24, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Dale Coyne’s team, plus a handful of others will need to assemble programs shortly to bring the Indianapolis 500 car count number up to 33, and perhaps beyond.
Apr 24, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
After Long Beach debacle, Andretti Autosport looks to right the ship, get second straight Barber win this weekend.
Apr 24, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
Looking for a second straight fast, solid weekend, Josef Newgarden and the SFHR team seek an improvement on P9 in 2013 at Barber.
Apr 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Round 3 of the Verizon IndyCar Series could be a humdinger at Barber with high drama, high tempers possible after Long Beach.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
RPM’s Marcos Ambrose on his start to the 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
John Force is your classic workaholic.
Even when he’s on vacation and supposed to be resting and relaxing and taking things slow, the record-setting 16-time NHRA Funny Car champ never stops working. Force was on vacation with his family last weekend in St. Croix, Virgin Islands, a prelude to his upcoming 65th birthday on May 4.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Swan Racing has restructured its two-car Sprint Cup team, the organization announced Wednesday afternoon. Minority owner Anthony Marlowe has merged his ownership stake in the No. 26 Toyota driven by Sprint Cup rookie Cole Whitt with BK Racing, which now expands to a three-car operation. Meanwhile, the No. 30 team has been sold to John Cohen, owner of XxxTreme Motorsports.
- As NHRA closes in on 100 wins by female racers, it all started with one of the greatest, Shirley Muldowney 0
- Brad Keselowski: Changes overdue to Sprint Cup schedule; offers his ideas 4
- Richard Petty to return at Richmond, first race since wife Lynda’s death 1
- NASCAR VP: 2015 Sprint Cup engine package to be revealed before All-Star Race 0
- Too much, too fast, too soon: The sad saga of Swan Racing 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (13)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)