Feb 20, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – Denny Hamlin staked his claim as the favorite to win Sunday’s Daytona 500 after capturing the second Budweiser Duel 150 Thursday, in addition to last Saturday’s triumph in the Sprint Unlimited.
But Hamlin’s win was overshadowed by a spectacular multi-car wreck on the final lap of the 60-lap race, one that featured Clint Bowyer‘s car doing a complete 360-degree roll in the air and landing upright on its tires, as well as Jimmie Johnson‘s car catching fire after impact.
To add even more to Bowyer’s roll, somehow he still managed to finish 10th in the Duel.
The wreck was triggered when Johnson began slowing, having run out of gas, and was clipped by Jamie McMurray.
“I feel terrible to tear up that many race cars,” Johnson said. “I want to apologize to everyone. I knew I was going to get run over.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Who is better off? 2013 vs 2014 F1 points comparison 0
- An anti-climactic race in China ahead of F1′s return to Europe 0
- VIDEO: Vettel explains decision to not let Ricciardo past 5
- Chinese GP called two laps early after checkered flag mix-up 4
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” 19
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (19)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)