Feb 20, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – Denny Hamlin staked his claim as the favorite to win Sunday’s Daytona 500 after capturing the second Budweiser Duel 150 Thursday, in addition to last Saturday’s triumph in the Sprint Unlimited.
But Hamlin’s win was overshadowed by a spectacular multi-car wreck on the final lap of the 60-lap race, one that featured Clint Bowyer‘s car doing a complete 360-degree roll in the air and landing upright on its tires, as well as Jimmie Johnson‘s car catching fire after impact.
To add even more to Bowyer’s roll, somehow he still managed to finish 10th in the Duel.
The wreck was triggered when Johnson began slowing, having run out of gas, and was clipped by Jamie McMurray.
“I feel terrible to tear up that many race cars,” Johnson said. “I want to apologize to everyone. I knew I was going to get run over.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 2
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0
- Rosberg fastest once again in second British GP practice 0
- Rosberg tops FP1 at Silverstone after gearbox change 0
- NHRA: Tony Pedregon hopes to keep momentum going in Norwalk 0
- NHRA: New president Peter Clifford full of ideas to get drag racing back on-track 9
- Ryan Briscoe making most of filling in for James Hinchcliffe 1