Feb 20, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – Denny Hamlin staked his claim as the favorite to win Sunday’s Daytona 500 after capturing the second Budweiser Duel 150 Thursday, in addition to last Saturday’s triumph in the Sprint Unlimited.
But Hamlin’s win was overshadowed by a spectacular multi-car wreck on the final lap of the 60-lap race, one that featured Clint Bowyer‘s car doing a complete 360-degree roll in the air and landing upright on its tires, as well as Jimmie Johnson‘s car catching fire after impact.
To add even more to Bowyer’s roll, somehow he still managed to finish 10th in the Duel.
The wreck was triggered when Johnson began slowing, having run out of gas, and was clipped by Jamie McMurray.
“I feel terrible to tear up that many race cars,” Johnson said. “I want to apologize to everyone. I knew I was going to get run over.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Joey Logano avoids “yellow fever,” wins at N.H. to advance in Chase 2
- Wreck involves several Chase drivers; Keselowski spins, suffers minor damage 0
- Rosberg reflects on a tough day in Singapore (VIDEO) 2
- Reports: 2015 Sprint Cup rules package expected to be released on Tuesday 2
- Hamilton rules in Singapore to re-take championship lead as Rosberg retires 1
- Rosberg forced to retire in Singapore after electrical glitch 2
- Brendan Gaughan takes lead with 6 laps to go, wins Nationwide at Kentucky 0