Feb 20, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – Denny Hamlin staked his claim as the favorite to win Sunday’s Daytona 500 after capturing the second Budweiser Duel 150 Thursday, in addition to last Saturday’s triumph in the Sprint Unlimited.
But Hamlin’s win was overshadowed by a spectacular multi-car wreck on the final lap of the 60-lap race, one that featured Clint Bowyer‘s car doing a complete 360-degree roll in the air and landing upright on its tires, as well as Jimmie Johnson‘s car catching fire after impact.
To add even more to Bowyer’s roll, somehow he still managed to finish 10th in the Duel.
The wreck was triggered when Johnson began slowing, having run out of gas, and was clipped by Jamie McMurray.
“I feel terrible to tear up that many race cars,” Johnson said. “I want to apologize to everyone. I knew I was going to get run over.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- DiZinno: Mid-Ohio a dream weekend for Rahal, IndyCar, fans 0
- Dates for 2016 IndyCar schedule starting to come together 7
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 5
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 1
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 4
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 13
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 5