NASCAR disqualifies Kevin Harvick’s runner-up finish in Duel 150

Feb 20, 2014, 9:13 PM EDT

Daytona 500 - Practice Getty Images

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – Kevin Harvick went from extremely elated to depressingly dejected in less than 30 minutes.

After finishing a close second to Matt Kenseth in Thursday night’s first of two Budweiser Twin Duel 150s, Harvick’s result was tossed out by NASCAR officials.

Harvick’s No. 4 Stewart Haas Racing Chevrolet was found to have to “exceeded the maximum split on the track bar,” according to NASCAR spokesman Kerry Tharp.

As a result, Harvick’s qualifying time and his runner-up finish in the first Duel has been disqualified, a big blow to the 2007 Daytona 500 winner.

“Well, that’s no good,” Harvick deadpanned to FOX Sports’ TV coverage when told on air of the news.

Harvick will now have to wait until after the end of the second Duel 150 to see if either the speed (194.422 mph) or time (46.291) he had in Sunday’s pole qualifying (23rd overall) determine where he starts, or whether he’ll need to rely on owner points garnered from the No. 39 in 2013 to start Sunday’s Great American Race.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

1. dealwithitinc - Feb 21, 2014 at 1:58 AM

“exceeded the maximum split on the track bar” is blatant cheating. It seems this is the direction SHR is going to take this year.

2. tyk55 - Feb 21, 2014 at 4:19 AM

I like Kevin Harvick but strongly oppose cheating no matter who it is and hope Nascar punishes them harshly.

3. muddawgs - Feb 21, 2014 at 6:14 AM

really who cares
    i really used to love nascar
    but it has gotten ridiculously overpriced
    it is not an affordable family event anymore
    and now every week you have some controversy
    and some type of rule change to fit the situation
    it has become more like a soap opera
    a stage soap opera at that
    and the only reason Danica is in the mix is to sell tickets

• rickpenny11 - Feb 21, 2014 at 6:49 AM

looks like you still watch Nascar and you and dumbass Richard Petty just wish you could drive as good as Danica .

• tonyc920 - Feb 21, 2014 at 4:02 PM

I’m trying to comprehend your post. How is it you consider Nascar overpriced ? What track or tracks are you referring to ? Heck, I haven’t paid more than $50 for a ticket in several years.
      Controversy, yeah, I’ll agree that the rules get complicated but remember if you aren’t cheating, you’re not trying hard enough. Danica, maybe she won’t be on stage at the year end awards dinner, but I think she’s improving. Remember, it takes a couple 3 years to figure it out. Give her a chance. She is good for the sport. Ask the team owners and sponsors my man. It’s bring more viewers and money into NASCAR.

4. leonetm - Feb 21, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Oh plueeeeeze, rickpenny11. I agree with Petty. Danica has a chance, chance mind you of winning if everyone else stays home. I still watch Nascar too. But I used to go to about 10 or 12 races a year. I don’t go anymore. Ticket prices are rediculous, In-field camping is outrageous, Brian France has ruined the sport with his little machinations of change the rules everytime you turn around. Then there is rule enforcement…..1/10000 of an inch with penalty, my Butt. France, if you are listening you little rodent, You are a sick individual. Stop ruining the very sport you people invented.

• hotrod53 - Feb 21, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Haters will Hate! Danica beat-up a bunch of BOYS last night!

• buckeye044 - Feb 21, 2014 at 10:08 AM

14th out of 24 is not what I would call domination when her equipment is better than a 14th finish.

• alvisjw - Feb 21, 2014 at 11:06 AM

I don’t know what race you were watching but she spent most of the race out of qualifying and then just barely made it In at the line. I think it would have been the feel good story of the year for her not to be in and one of the other drivers to take that spot with less money and team backing. I just hope she drops out early so the cameras will actually follow the real race on Sunday.

5. lawburgtn - Feb 21, 2014 at 10:49 AM

muddawg has the only intelligent post so far and I totally agree. NASCAR continually tweaks every dimension of the race car to where there is almost no adjustment. Pull the rules and let them race.

NASCAR rose as a spectator sport because A) it was geared toward family and was affordable entertainment and because of the excitement i.e. fights on pit road, drivers bumping each other, cars spinning, etc. Now the winner of every race is dictated by who gets out of the pits the fastest. Pull the rules and let them race!

Calling Kevin a cheater…really? Kevin had absolutely NOTHING to do with track bar split. He DRIVES the car you boneheads. If anyone cheated, it would have been his CREW. How many of you finger pointers can tell me what the max allowed trackbar split is without looking it up? I couldn’t. This is another of the micromanaging rules NASCAR has put in place by idiots who were never drivers, engineers or crew chiefs!

Finally, what in the world has Danica got to do with this story anyway?

6. crunge4461 - Feb 22, 2014 at 12:32 AM

If I may comment here for a moment. I was brought up on Nascar, my dad brought me up an “Awesome Bill from Dawsonville” fan cause he was a good guy, raced a Ford, and a Ford that a fan could at least imagine could be their own T-Bird. We liked all kinds of racing, Indy, F1 and Nascar. However, in the last decade or so I have become a diehard IndyCar fan and stopped watching Nascar. Only reason is that IndyCar, particular the 500 is still really pushing the boundaries, it is crazy fast and very exciting. Anyway, to my point. I feel that Nascar has abandoned what it was all about, which was relevant stock based cars that a common person could at least imagine the dream of going racing with.

What Nascar should do is abandon their current formula entirely. They should look at what Americans drive, Americans drive Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers and do so in droves, those cars are everywhere! Those are the relevant V-8 rear-wheel drive cars that are everywhere you look.. Nascar should have teams buy showroom muscle cars (many of em come with 500 bhp out of the box), put in the roll cage, safe fuel tanks, and safe seats and harnesses. At Daytona they should cut back air-dams and side skirts and have no plates, let-em go race. It would be great, speeds over 200 mph (if your worried about fans, move the seats back 20 rows)…that would be the best thing for the sport cause folks would drive to the track in their Mustang and see their Mustang racing. It would bring the sport back.

I have been reading comments and I realize that much of Nascar’s base is very disgruntled right now. Two of my friends were the most hardcore Nascar fans over the last decade and when they told me they stopped watching this past year it was big eye opener for me. When the guy with the Dale Jr. hat with a fish-hook in it says he is fed up cause it is boring, well something is wrong. As I have read more and more comments this speed-weeks it only further verifies this fact, so many fans are disappointed. Unfortunately nothing will change because the powers-that-be are still making their money. For someone who was brought up in the sports golden age, it is really quite sad. I remember being in awe when Bill did 212 at Talladega, I still have the T-shirt that my pops bought commemorating the moment. Nascar needs to listen to its base more closely otherwise they will be in big trouble.

Video from NASCAR America