Tony Stewart: Let’s see a race between Danica Patrick and Richard Petty

Feb 20, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT

Daytona 500 - Practice Getty Images

Tony Stewart is obviously a very protective boss.

Even The King, Richard Petty, will suffer Stewart’s wrath when it comes to protecting one of his drivers, Danica Patrick.

Appearing on Performance Radio Network’s “Fast Talk” (the episode with Stewart can be heard at GoPRN.com), Stewart made it very clear what he would like Patrick to do if she wins a Sprint Cup race this season.

“If I were her, I’d take (the checkered flag) over and cram it up his (expletive),” Stewart said of Petty. “If it were me, that’s just me.”

That outburst was in response to the suggestion that Patrick might take the flag to Petty for his autograph to prove that she can indeed win a race in NASCAR.

This obviously all stems from Petty’s comments nearly two weeks ago in an appearance at the Canadian Motorsports Expo in Toronto, where he said the only way Patrick would win a Sprint Cup race was “if everybody else stayed home,” according to Wheels.ca. It’s a story that has grown wheels since, necessitated a rebuttal from Patrick, and then forced Petty to mildly backtrack.

But wait, it gets better.

Stewart then suggested that Petty climb back into a race car for the first time in 22 years and have a match race with Patrick in a two-car IROC-style shootout.

“I told her she should challenge Richard to a heads-up race,” Stewart said. “I think that would pretty much settle it once and for all, maybe get him to shut up a little bit too.

“He drove in an era when he had cars that were superior to what everybody else was running a lot. I think he forgets that NASCAR has changed a lot since he was a driver and how hard it really is now.”

Petty is 76, while Patrick turns 32 on March 25.

For the record, Petty’s last win in a Sprint Cup car was 30 years ago in 1984 (Firecracker 400 at Daytona International Speedway). But let’s not forget Petty is NASCAR’s all-time wins leader with 200 Sprint Cup victories, not to mention being tied with the late Dale Earhardt for most Cup championships by a driver (seven).

Even at his age, Petty likely still has a few racing tricks up his sleeve — or firesuit, depending on your perspective.

Patrick, meanwhile, has yet to win a race in NASCAR, either Sprint Cup or Nationwide, and has just one race win to her credit during her previous days on the IndyCar circuit.

“I will supply the cars, I don’t care,” Stewart said. “If he wants to race her, I’ll make sure they have exactly the same set-up in the car and give him a chance. He can drive one of my 14 cars I don’t care.”

Somewhere, there HAS to be a promoter already trying to find a way to make this happen. It’d be a natural for the legendary Humpy Wheeler, and just think of the potential good it could do.

A Petty-Patrick match race could raise a ton of money for charity and give NASCAR perhaps its biggest story in years.

If Petty would agree to take part but is reluctant to do it on an actual track – maybe they could do it on a computer game instead of the real thing, if necessary.

Who do  YOU think would win?

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

1. indycar02 - Feb 20, 2014 at 6:02 PM

tony stewart must be drunk, petty must be at least 70 years old (if not more!).

• imwhitewolf - Feb 20, 2014 at 11:03 PM

What I find really funny is this: drivers like Casey Atwood, Reed Sorenson, etc. have been given a year or two to prove themselves. This is Danica’s fourth season and she hasn’t done anything so why is she still driving for an elite team? Because she is an attractive female and NASCAR can make MONEY off her. Petty is right. This gal isn’t going to do anything but make NASCAR money because she is attractive.

• indycar02 - Feb 27, 2014 at 1:03 PM

like i said, ole STEWY is drunk.

2. mrlaloosh - Feb 20, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Petty would smoke Patrick and Stewart. Just sayin…

3. manik56 - Feb 20, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Petty would whoop Stewart and Danica…if he were 35. I can’t wait to see Stewart’s reaction once Danica ruins a race of his.

4. pitpenguinsrulez - Feb 20, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Petty. I don’t have much care for Danica.

5. biggdaddy007 - Feb 20, 2014 at 7:51 PM

wonder what MR FOYT thinks of danica

6. provguard - Feb 20, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Hey mouth Stewart, why don’t you wait till Petty ages to a wheel chair. You Indy people leave a lot to be desired for intelligence.

7. texas2888 - Feb 21, 2014 at 7:08 AM

That’s just a stupid thing to even suggest. If they were BOTH 32, it would make sense…and Petty would destroy her! It’s no wonder why Stewart hired her (other than to make money). They’re BOTH mouthy @$$holes.

• davidf95 - Feb 25, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Bah, a little mouth never hurt anyone. in sports, it’s a common occurrence. I have no problem with Tony firing back at Rickard for his comment. It’s all publicity, and any publicity is “usually” good for a sport. However, Tony didn’t fire back at the comment, he didn’t attack the comment or mentality, he attacked the individual. By challenging an old retired man on social security to race a car. That in itself is very immature, especially for a race car owner. 2nd, even though I doubt he would ever follow through, to make “threats” against the king. What would one take to shove something up another man’s @$$? Violence and assault. Again, I don’t believe Tony would do it, but he did say the words. Which to me is very disrespectful to anyone, much less “The King”.

8. worknman24hours - Feb 22, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Let’s not risk the life of Richard Petty on a publicity stunt.

Sometimes, you should let people differ without trying to get them killed.

9. davidf95 - Feb 25, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Tony Stewart is a moron, plain and simple.

Video from NASCAR America

Which longshot will advance in Chase?
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches