Feb 21, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
Even though his car is still a work in progress, Lewis Hamilton tells NBC Sports’ Will Buxton he’s confident in his driving abilities heading into the Formula One season-opening race in Australia less than a month from now.
“I don’t need to change anything with my driving, which is cool,” Hamilton said.
During the third day of F1 testing Friday in Bahrain, Hamilton and his Mercedes clocked the fastest time of the day at 1:34.263. Hamilton completed 67 laps. Testing continues on Saturday.
Second fastest on the grid was Jenson Button in his McLaren. Button completed a whopping 103 laps, more than a full-race length, with a time of .7 of a second behind Hamilton at 1:34.976.
Meanwhile, Red Bull continues to struggle, off 6.5 seconds from the time neighborhood Hamilton and Button occupied. Times aren’t particularly important but still, that’s a big gap to claw back.
Check out Buxton’s video recap of all the day’s action above.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: FP1 for the United States GP 0
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 2
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 5
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0