Feb 21, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Lewis Hamilton led Friday’s third day of testing for Formula One at Bahrain. Of course, there were more quotes of note to emerge from the day. Here’s a nugget from each of the 11 teams at the end of day:
- Friday pace-setter Lewis Hamilton’s race simulation for Mercedes was interrupted, but he was still pleased with his level of running today. “It was nice to be able to put together a good lap today because generally speaking there seems to be less grip available than last year,” the 2008 World Champion said in the team’s post-day release.
- Something apart from the standard line of quotes from McLaren’s Jenson Button, after clocking in second on Friday. “Today was a really busy session – my engineers looked exhausted afterwards, and I’ve never seen that before!” exclaimed the 2009 World Champion, who completed a day-high 103 laps. Button also announced his engagement to longtime girlfriend Jessica Michibata, in a bit of happy news for the paddock.
- High marks were offered by Williams’ chief test and support engineer Rod Nelson after Felipe Massa ended P3 and Valtteri Bottas spent the day doing live pit stop practice. “We are happy with how it has gone today. The car is proving to be solid and we are getting a good handle on things,” said Nelson. Massa hailed the afternoon as “busy” and “very positive;” Bottas confirmed there were no problems.
- A good day for Sauber as well, with Esteban Gutierrez and the team able to practice pit stops and gain experience on both Pirelli’s soft and super soft compounds. “We did have small issues, but were able to solve them quickly. Mechanically and aerodynamically the car is working well, and it is becoming more consistent,” said the young Mexican.
- Sergio “Checo” Perez took over at Force India and said he was continuing to get used to the feeling of the car, but had a few small issues in the morning. Still, 57 laps completed for him and he’ll have a second day on Saturday.
- A telemetry glitch slowed Ferrari in the morning, as Kimi Raikkonen took over from Fernando Alonso. From director of engineering Pat Fry: “Today was a bit frustrating, because we were stopped for quite a time with a small but tricky problem. We knew that sooner or later we would have to deal with some problems and that was what happened.”
- For Russian rookie Daniil Kvyat at Toro Rosso, a heavy day of running was just what the doctor ordered. “This was the first time I have managed to do a lot of running and it was very important for me, as well as for the team, that I completed 57 laps. We worked on many things and made progress in several areas,” he said in the team’s post-test release.
- No official quotes or release from Lotus today, same as the rest of the week. But Pastor Maldonado did a Q&A on the team’s website yesterday , and got his first running of the week in today, so there’s that…
- Daniel Ricciardo remained upbeat despite the latest early stoppage for Red Bull. Said the Australian, “Obviously, I would have liked to do more this afternoon but we still have tomorrow ahead of us and it’s important to be ready for that. The car is definitely making progress though. Tomorrow it would be nice to get more laps in and then roll on next week.”
- It was a big day for Caterham’s Marcus Ericsson, with the Swede earning his FIA Superlicence after completing 98 laps (more than 300 km). “The boys have worked really hard today and we’ve pretty much had no issues which meant I could just get on with the program, and that was the main goal for today,” said Ericsson, who proved in the team’s post-test release he’s already got the standard testing line down.
- Sadly more issues for Marussia and Max Chilton, with the Englishman only adding four laps Friday to his 17 on Thursday. Jules Bianchi returns to the wheel on Saturday.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
Spanish driver ends Mercedes streak of first place finishes, but teammate Kimi Raikkonen fails to post a time.
Apr 17, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
You’ve heard of the wildly popular “Evolution of Dance” video on YouTube? Now there’s the Evolution of the Pit Stop.
Apr 17, 2014, 6:58 PM EDT
NBCSN’s Rick Allen and Kyle Petty discuss the expectations for Gene Haas as he looks to start a F1 team. The pair question whether an F1 team can be run successfully out of the United States.
Apr 17, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
NBCSN’s Rick Allen and Kyle Petty discuss the emergence of some of this year’s top rookies on Thursday’s edition of NASCAR America. Petty says it is time for a changing of the guard, as many of today’s most successful drivers are nearing the end of their careers.
Apr 17, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
The latest generation of NASCAR’s fabled Alabama Gang rode again in its debut Tuesday and Wednesday at Talladega Superspeedway. Justin Allison, grandson of Donnie Allison and grandnephew of NASCAR Hall of Famer Bobby Allison, both original members of the Alabama Gang, took part in a two-day test of ARCA drivers at NASCAR’s largest oval track.
Apr 17, 2014, 5:32 PM EDT
Whether you like it or not, you can’t say the Ford Mustang doesn’t have staying power. Celebrating its 50th anniversary this month, the Mustang has become one of the premier muscle car brands ever made by Detroit.
Apr 17, 2014, 5:08 PM EDT
One of the best venues for short track racing in the country, South Boston (Va.) Speedway, will be the new home for and play host to Denny Hamlin’s annual Short Track Showdown next Thursday (April 24).
Apr 17, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
NASCAR chairman Brian France’s unwavering stance to bring parity to the sport during his 10-year tenure is finally paying dividends.
Apr 17, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
News and notes from the ground in China from NBCSN’s Will Buxton.
Apr 17, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
Just eight races into the Sprint Cup season, the future of the two-car Swan Racing team is looking rather murky, with the potential of everything from reorganization to scaling back involvement, if not outright shutting down.
Apr 17, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
F1 heads to China with change in the wind, only making the predictions harder for our experts.
Apr 17, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
Thursday on NASCAR AMERICA, the team will cover a lot of ground, including talking with NASCAR team owner Gene Haas about his foray into Formula One. Rick Allen and Kyle Petty man the anchor desk from our Charlotte studio. Remember to tune in at at 5 p.m. ET on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra for your online or mobile device.
Apr 17, 2014, 1:24 PM EDT
The Who founder and lead singer paid a visit to Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach weekend, and soaked it all in while also raising awareness for Teen Cancer America.
Apr 17, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
The Internet is like coming to a strange five-way intersection that you’ve never seen before. No matter which way you decide to go, you’re bound to find something new and different. So as we were looking for something else, we stumbled upon this video of 7-year-old go-kart racer Ryan Rifredi in a race from December…
Apr 17, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Defending world champion banking on a top five finish in China.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Rosberg felt that Hamilton overstepped the mark with one of his moves in Bahrain.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
After Stefano Domenicali’s departure, there’s a change in the wind at Ferrari.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
Muscle Milk Pickett Racing withdraws from the TUDOR Championship, after previously announcing a temporary hiatus.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
The final eastern adventure until October looks to be a Mercedes game once again, but a number of other stories are set to define the weekend.
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 0
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 1
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)