Feb 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
IMSA’s TUDOR United SportsCar Championship and Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge are testing at Sebring International Raceway this week. A few brief news and notes to follow:
- The biggest thing to watch coming out of this week’s test will be Prototype (P) class Balance of Performance adjustments that may come out after the tests. Restrictor amounts for for the Daytona Prototype-spec cars were yet to be determined in the pre-Sebring BoP rundown.
- On Day 1, it was split between a P2-spec car leading the morning session (courtesy of OAK Racing) and a DP-spec car leading overall in the afternoon (Action Express Racing, the Rolex 24 at Daytona winners). The P2 cars need to be closer to the DPs, if not outright ahead, at the conclusion of this test given the P2s are expected to be running quicker at handling-type circuits, compared to a track like Daytona where outright horsepower and straight-line speed make the difference.
- Times from Session 1 and Session 2 are linked in this bullet point.
- Team Falken Tire’s premiere of its customer Porsche 911 RSR, the first customer chassis of the new 991-spec car, is occurring this week. Nicknamed “Valentina” by its trio of drivers, Falken factory ace Bryan Sellers will drive with Porsche factory drivers Wolf Henzler and Marco Holzer this week.
- Muscle Milk Pickett Racing has a new third driver for the Mobil 1 12 Hours of Sebring – it’s Nissan PlayStation GT Academy winner Jann Mardenborough joining the No. 6 ORECA 03 Nissan’s regular two drivers, Klaus Graf and Lucas Luhr. If nothing else, this may set the unofficial record for “biggest gap between letters in driver last names.” But Mardenborough’s a very talented shoe, already confirmed to a GP3 deal earlier in the week, and with past P2-spec experience in a Zytek Z11SN Nissan at Le Mans last year. A video of Mardenborough made by Nissan is linked here; he’s testing with the team this week.
- Testing from day two at Sebring continues today, with live timing available at scoring.imsa.com for both series.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH: Race of Champions at 7 p.m. ET kicks off motors evening on NBCSN 0
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 14
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1