Feb 21, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
With rain interrupting late morning/early afternoon events at Daytona International Speedway, reporters went searching for new stories.
They didn’t have to go far, especially those that have a nose for news – literally. It took the media just a few steps to sniff out what was cooking.
For the second year in a row, Daytona International Speedway officials chose to import a certain kind of “foreign” food for lunch to feed a couple hundred hungry media members.
No, we’re not talking about Chinese or European or Mexican food.
We’re talking about one of the delicacies of the Sprint Cup tour, namely “famous Martinsville hot dogs.”
If you’ve been at the gritty half-mile short track in southern Virginia otherwise known as Martinsville Speedway, you know how addictive the bright red Martinsville hotdogs can be. With a unique covering of mustard, onions, slaw and chili combined, you can’t eat just one.
(Full disclosure, I ate two – not to mention a little potato salad and onions and beans. I would have gone for three, but I didn’t want to appear greedy.)
Martinsville Speedway president Clay Campbell, who finished third in last weekend’s ARCA race at DIS, oversaw a contingent from the track and surrounding area that came down to oversee the importation of the famous dogs.
When word filtered through the Sprint Cup garage that FMHD’s were in the house, several non-media types snuck in to the DIS media center to grab a dog or two. They’re THAT popular.
After all, what else is there to do during a rain delay than eat?
Thank goodness TUMS is also a NASCAR sponsor.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Mercedes drivers “remain free to race” following meeting today 0
- With nothing to lose, IndyCar title contender Pagenaud charges into Fontana 0
- Tony Stewart’s return to NASCAR may be one of hardest things he’s ever done 20
- Tony Stewart to return to race at Atlanta this weekend 20
- Team Penske on verge of ending 8-year IndyCar title drought 0
- IndyCar title quest continues for Helio Castroneves 0
- Could Tony Stewart return to race this weekend at Atlanta? 15