Feb 21, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – With rain approaching, Ricky Stenhouse Jr. and Danica Patrick both acted like they had a fast-approaching lunch reservation with each other during Friday’s morning Sprint Cup practice session.
Stenhouse was the only driver in the 29-car session to exceed 197 mph, with a fast lap of 197.027 mph. Patrick was third-fastest, clocking in at 196.915 mph for third-fastest. Greg Biffle was second-fastest at 196.954 mph.
David Gilliland was fourth (196.863), followed by Tony Stewart (196.790), Jeff Gordon (196.066), Paul Menard (196.023), Ryan Newman (195.976), Kasey Kahne (195.967) and Denny Hamlin rounded out the top 10 (195.729).
Daytona 500 pole sitter Austin Dillon was only 21st fastest (190.428).
Several young drivers who made the field for Sunday’s Great American Race struggled to find speed in Friday’s first session (the second session in the afternoon is uncertain to occur due to off-and-on rain showers): Cole Whitt was 28th fastest (187.942) and Alex Bowman brought up the rear of the field (185.208).
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 7 p.m. ET recaps Talladega 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 3
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 4
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10