Will Tony Stewart finally break Daytona 500 jinx on Sunday?

Feb 21, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT

Coke Zero 400 - Qualifying Getty Images

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – What should potentially be one of the biggest storylines heading into Sunday’s 56th Daytona 500 hasn’t even registered a blip on the NASCAR media radar this year.

With so much attention focused on Austin Dillon bringing the legendary No. 3 back to the Sprint Cup Series after a 13-year absence and then putting it on the pole for Sunday’s race, the media seem to have forgotten an almost equally important story.

Tony Stewart will make his 16th consecutive career start in the Daytona 500 this Sunday, making him third among active drivers with the most starts without a win in the field for the Great American Race.

Terry Labonte, who has announced that Sunday will be his final career start at Daytona, tops the list with 32 starts in the 500 without a win. Brother Bobby will make his 22nd start on Sunday without a win in the big race.

Over the last four or five 500s, Stewart has come into Speedweeks as arguably one of the key focal points of media attention not because of what he’s done, but what he’s not done.

But no one is talking about Stewart’s 0-for-15 record in this year’s edition of Speedweeks.

Stewart comes into Sunday as essentially the Dale Earnhardt of his generation when it comes to Daytona 500 success. After years of frustration, Earnhardt finally won his first – and ultimately only – Daytona 500 in his 20th try in 1998.

At the same time, Stewart, a winner of 48 career races in 521 starts on the Cup circuit, is somewhat of a paradox.

It’s not that he’s a bad driver at Daytona. In 30 career Cup starts there, he has four wins, but all have come in summer’s Coca Zero 400. Stewart also has nine top-5 and 14 top-10 finishes on the high banks of Daytona International Speedway.

He also has seven Nationwide Series wins there.

After four top-five and three other top-10 finishes in an eight-year stretch of the 500 from 2002 through 2009 (he also finished a career-worse 43rd in 2007), Stewart has struggled in the last four editions of the Great American Race: 22nd (2010), 13th (2011), 16th (2012) and his second-worst finish in the race, 41st, last season.

“You look at marquee events around the world, and not only NASCAR but in all of motorsports – the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the 24 Hours At Daytona, the Indy 500, the Knoxville Nationals – and to be a driver that can cross off one of those marquee events as a winner, that cements your legacy in motorsports,” Stewart said. “To be able to win the Daytona 500 is the ultimate dream of a racecar driver.”

A Daytona 500 win is unquestionably “No. 1″ on his bucket list, Stewart said.

“I may never get a chance to run in those other marquee events, so that’s why it puts the Daytona 500 at the top, because it’s something that we actually have a shot at,” Stewart said, referring again to Le Mans, the Indy 500, etc. “But it is hard. It’s a hard race, and it’s not like you get to come back next week and try it again if you don’t accomplish it. You get one shot a year to accomplish this goal.”

With Sunday being Stewart’s first official points-paying Cup race since last summer’s wreck in a sprint car race that resulted in a severely broken leg and caused him to miss the final 15 races of the season, a win Sunday would be all the more sweeter.

That’s not to say Stewart hasn’t come close to winning NASCAR’s biggest race. He was runner-up in the 2004 race and third in 2002 and 2008.

The latter finish still eats at Stewart six years later, when he watched Ryan Newman and Kurt Busch make a last lap charge past him to the checkered flag to finish 1-2.

“I’ve run that race over in my mind a million times on what I thought I could’ve done differently,” Stewart said. “If it would’ve been the Daytona 498, I had it won. I was forced to make a decision of whether I was going to put my whole race in jeopardy to win it, or know that I was getting passed but I may have a shot to get it back in the end.

“I took the safer route, and I wish I would’ve thrown caution to the wind. I think I would’ve rather crashed out of it knowing that I did everything I could, but I wasn’t sure that if I made the move to block Ryan to get in front of him – they were coming at such a high rate of speed – I was probably going to crash half the field if I moved.

“That decision to play it safe has haunted me ever since. So, if that situation happens again, I may come back on a hook, but at least I can say I know I did everything I could do to give myself that shot.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Power on top as Penske 1-2-3 in second straight St. Pete practice

Mar 28, 2015, 1:27 PM EDT

WPstpP3 AP

More Will Power on top of IndyCar practice at St. Petersburg.

2. Franck Montagny receives two-year ban from FIA after positive drug test

Mar 28, 2015, 1:01 PM EDT

Montagnynew Getty Images

Franck Montagny receives two-year ban from FIA’s Anti-Doping Disciplinary Committee.

3. Ericsson storms to career-best qualifying in Malaysia

Mar 28, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

Marcus Ericsson AP

Swedish driver reaches both Q2 and Q3 for the first time in his F1 career, and will start tomorrow’s race from ninth place on the grid.

4. Wet qualifying benefits Red Bull, hinders Williams, on Saturday in Malaysia

Mar 28, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Malaysia - Qualifying Getty Images

Ricciardo and Kvyat both get inside the top five thanks to the rain in Q3 in Malaysia, but Massa and Bottas struggle.

5. Monaco’s Formula E track layout is revealed

Mar 28, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Monaco - Qualifying Getty Images

Monaco’s circuit for the FIA Formula E Championship is revealed.

6. Grosjean hit with grid penalty after queue jumping

Mar 28, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-MAS-F1 Getty Images

Lotus driver drops two places on the starting grid after failing to keep his place in the pit lane.

7. One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany

Mar 28, 2015, 10:28 AM EDT

© VLN - the start of a 2014 race at the Nurburgring © VLN - the start of a 2014 race at the Nurburgring

Incident involving Jann Mardenborough’s Nissan GT-R claims the life of one spectator at the Nordschleife.

8. Verstappen flourishes in the wet to qualify sixth in Malaysia

Mar 28, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-MAS-F1 Getty Images

Dutch youngster scores the best F1 qualifying result for a teenager in 54 years on Saturday in Malaysia.

9. Alonso: Q1 exit not a sign of things to come for McLaren

Mar 28, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT

Alonso 283 Getty Images

Spanish driver will make his second debut for McLaren from 18th position on the grid tomorrow.

10. Hamilton delighted after claiming 40th career pole (VIDEO)

Mar 28, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

Lewis Hamilton AP

British driver explains the challenge of judging your qualifying lap in the wet after securing pole position in Malaysia on Saturday.

11. Manor receives dispensation to race in Malaysia despite missing 107% time in qualifying

Mar 28, 2015, 7:49 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Malaysia - Qualifying Getty Images

Merhi and Stevens miss the 107% time required to qualify in Malaysia, but are granted dispensation by the FIA stewards.

12. Vettel hoping for more rain on Sunday after scoring Ferrari’s first front-row start in two years (VIDEO)

Mar 28, 2015, 7:30 AM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-MAS-F1 Getty Images

Felipe Massa was the last driver to start on the front row of the grid for Ferrari, lining up second for the 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix.

13. Rosberg annoyed to qualify third for Malaysian GP

Mar 28, 2015, 7:10 AM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-MAS-F1 Getty Images

German driver cannot improve with his final lap in Q3, leaving him third on the grid behind Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel.

14. Hamilton tames wet conditions to grab pole in Malaysia

Mar 28, 2015, 6:36 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Malaysia - Qualifying Getty Images

Defending world champion manages to fight through the spray to secure pole position ahead of Vettel and Rosberg.

15. WATCH LIVE: Malaysian GP qualifying at 5a ET on NBCSN and Live Extra

Mar 28, 2015, 4:45 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Malaysia - Practice Getty Images

Could a thunderstorm rain on Mercedes parade? Join us for qualifying from 5a ET today.

16. Rosberg closes out Malaysian GP practice fastest

Mar 28, 2015, 3:06 AM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-MAS-F1 Getty Images

German driver edges out Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton in final practice at Sepang.

17. WATCH LIVE: Malaysian GP FP3 at 2a ET on Live Extra

Mar 28, 2015, 1:30 AM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-MAS-F1 Getty Images

FP3 for the Malaysian Grand Prix rolls off at 2 a.m. ET on NBC Sports Live Extra.

18. NHRA: Rain washes out Friday’s first two rounds of qualifying four 4-Wide Nationals

Mar 27, 2015, 7:08 PM EDT

nhra four-wide nationals

Rain washed out Friday’s first two rounds of qualifying for this weekend’s 6th annual NHRA Four-Wide Nationals at zMAX Dragway in Concord, N.C.

19. IndyCar: St. Pete practice two scrubbed due to rain, and other notes

Mar 27, 2015, 6:03 PM EDT

IndyCar Testing Getty Images

No IndyCar second practice, and other notes from St. Petersburg.

20. Pro Mazda: Michael Johnson hospitalized after practice accident

Mar 27, 2015, 5:50 PM EDT

Photo: Pro Mazda Photo: Pro Mazda

Michael Johnson in ICU after practice accident at St. Petersburg.