Will Tony Stewart finally break Daytona 500 jinx on Sunday?

Feb 21, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT

Coke Zero 400 - Qualifying Getty Images

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – What should potentially be one of the biggest storylines heading into Sunday’s 56th Daytona 500 hasn’t even registered a blip on the NASCAR media radar this year.

With so much attention focused on Austin Dillon bringing the legendary No. 3 back to the Sprint Cup Series after a 13-year absence and then putting it on the pole for Sunday’s race, the media seem to have forgotten an almost equally important story.

Tony Stewart will make his 16th consecutive career start in the Daytona 500 this Sunday, making him third among active drivers with the most starts without a win in the field for the Great American Race.

Terry Labonte, who has announced that Sunday will be his final career start at Daytona, tops the list with 32 starts in the 500 without a win. Brother Bobby will make his 22nd start on Sunday without a win in the big race.

Over the last four or five 500s, Stewart has come into Speedweeks as arguably one of the key focal points of media attention not because of what he’s done, but what he’s not done.

But no one is talking about Stewart’s 0-for-15 record in this year’s edition of Speedweeks.

Stewart comes into Sunday as essentially the Dale Earnhardt of his generation when it comes to Daytona 500 success. After years of frustration, Earnhardt finally won his first – and ultimately only – Daytona 500 in his 20th try in 1998.

At the same time, Stewart, a winner of 48 career races in 521 starts on the Cup circuit, is somewhat of a paradox.

It’s not that he’s a bad driver at Daytona. In 30 career Cup starts there, he has four wins, but all have come in summer’s Coca Zero 400. Stewart also has nine top-5 and 14 top-10 finishes on the high banks of Daytona International Speedway.

He also has seven Nationwide Series wins there.

After four top-five and three other top-10 finishes in an eight-year stretch of the 500 from 2002 through 2009 (he also finished a career-worse 43rd in 2007), Stewart has struggled in the last four editions of the Great American Race: 22nd (2010), 13th (2011), 16th (2012) and his second-worst finish in the race, 41st, last season.

“You look at marquee events around the world, and not only NASCAR but in all of motorsports – the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the 24 Hours At Daytona, the Indy 500, the Knoxville Nationals – and to be a driver that can cross off one of those marquee events as a winner, that cements your legacy in motorsports,” Stewart said. “To be able to win the Daytona 500 is the ultimate dream of a racecar driver.”

A Daytona 500 win is unquestionably “No. 1″ on his bucket list, Stewart said.

“I may never get a chance to run in those other marquee events, so that’s why it puts the Daytona 500 at the top, because it’s something that we actually have a shot at,” Stewart said, referring again to Le Mans, the Indy 500, etc. “But it is hard. It’s a hard race, and it’s not like you get to come back next week and try it again if you don’t accomplish it. You get one shot a year to accomplish this goal.”

With Sunday being Stewart’s first official points-paying Cup race since last summer’s wreck in a sprint car race that resulted in a severely broken leg and caused him to miss the final 15 races of the season, a win Sunday would be all the more sweeter.

That’s not to say Stewart hasn’t come close to winning NASCAR’s biggest race. He was runner-up in the 2004 race and third in 2002 and 2008.

The latter finish still eats at Stewart six years later, when he watched Ryan Newman and Kurt Busch make a last lap charge past him to the checkered flag to finish 1-2.

“I’ve run that race over in my mind a million times on what I thought I could’ve done differently,” Stewart said. “If it would’ve been the Daytona 498, I had it won. I was forced to make a decision of whether I was going to put my whole race in jeopardy to win it, or know that I was getting passed but I may have a shot to get it back in the end.

“I took the safer route, and I wish I would’ve thrown caution to the wind. I think I would’ve rather crashed out of it knowing that I did everything I could, but I wasn’t sure that if I made the move to block Ryan to get in front of him – they were coming at such a high rate of speed – I was probably going to crash half the field if I moved.

“That decision to play it safe has haunted me ever since. So, if that situation happens again, I may come back on a hook, but at least I can say I know I did everything I could do to give myself that shot.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Ricky Taylor, Auberlen on pole for TUDOR at Long Beach

Apr 17, 2015, 9:16 PM EDT

Photo: IMSA Photo: IMSA

Ricky Taylor, Bill Auberlen secure pole positions for Round 3 of TUDOR Championship season in Long Beach.

2. Power, Pagenaud laugh off last year’s Long Beach contact in post-practice press conference

Apr 17, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT

A quick flashback to last year's Pagenaud, Power contact. A quick flashback to last year's Pagenaud, Power contact.

Some good banter between Simon Pagenaud and Will Power occurs during post-practice press conference, as the two laugh off their contact here last year.

3. GP2: Vandoorne continues pole position streak in Bahrain

Apr 17, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT

© GP2 Series © GP2 Series

Five in a row for the McLaren junior driver as he starts the 2015 season in style.

4. Raikkonen and Vettel cautious about challenging Mercedes in Bahrain

Apr 17, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT

Mideast Bahrain F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Ferrari’s long run pace suggests that Mercedes may not have it all its own way on Sunday.

5. INDYCAR confirms more aero kit updates coming to Long Beach

Apr 17, 2015, 5:41 PM EDT

KimballRahal AP

More from INDYCAR has been released regarding aero kit updates.

6. Button upbeat despite two practice stoppages in Bahrain

Apr 17, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-BHR-F1 Getty Images

He may have only completed 17 laps in total on Friday, but Jenson Button remains positive about McLaren’s progress.

7. Red Bull GRC: Media day series notes

Apr 17, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT

GRClogo2

Red Bull Global Rallycross rolls out a series of announcements for media day, Thursday in Long Beach.

8. Dixon leads Ganassi 1-2 in Long Beach opening practice

Apr 17, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT

Scott Dixon Getty Images

Scott Dixon on top in opening practice for the Verizon IndyCar Series at Long Beach.

9. Brake problems hinder Toro Rosso in Bahrain practice

Apr 17, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT

Carlos Sainz Jr. AP

A mixed day for both Carlos Sainz Jr and Max Verstappen during practice for the Bahrain Grand Prix.

10. Bottas pleased with practice showing, but thinks there is more time to find in Bahrain

Apr 17, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Bahrain - Practice Getty Images

Williams usually reserves its pace for Saturday, but Valtteri Bottas bucked the trend in Bahrain on Friday.

11. Hamilton sure Mercedes will avoid Malaysia issues in Bahrain

Apr 17, 2015, 2:36 PM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-BHR-F1 Getty Images

Briton pleased with Mercedes work following practice for the Bahrain Grand Prix on Friday.

12. Sato looks for a St. Pete encore and/or Long Beach repeat on Sunday

Apr 17, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach Getty Images

He’s not the race defending champion, but as the most recent Long Beach winner still in the IndyCar field, Takuma Sato is indeed one to watch this weekend.

13. Hamilton, Raikkonen, Vettel and Perez under investigation for incidents in Bahrain GP practice

Apr 17, 2015, 1:22 PM EDT

Mideast Bahrain F1 GP Auto Racing AP

A busy night for the stewards in Bahrain due to two incidents at the end of FP2 on Friday.

14. Rocky Moran Jr. to replace Huertas in Coyne’s No. 18 for Long Beach

Apr 17, 2015, 12:32 PM EDT

Shell Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston - Day 3 Getty Images

Rocky Moran Jr. to make IndyCar debut this weekend with Dale Coyne Racing in a last-minute fill-in role for Carlos Huertas.

15. Rosberg heads up Mercedes one-two in Bahrain FP2

Apr 17, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT

Rosberg 174av Getty Images

Normal service is resumed in FP2 as Mercedes dominates proceedings, but Ferrari proves that it could be in the running for the race win on race day.

16. Could Long Beach provide the venue for Pagenaud’s first Penske win?

Apr 17, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

PagsStPete AP

Picking a winner from the Team Penske quartet is always a challenge, but Simon Pagenaud has his best shot yet to break through this weekend.

17. Max Chilton adjusting to life outside F1, embracing Indy Lights opportunity

Apr 17, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT

Photo: Carlin Racing Photo: Carlin Racing

Max Chilton reflects on his new dual role with Carlin in Indy Lights, and a bit on his Nissan LMP1 role as well.

18. WATCH LIVE: FP2 for the Bahrain GP on NBCSN and Live Extra from 11am ET

Apr 17, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Bahrain - Practice Getty Images

Can Mercedes strike back in FP2? Or will Ferrari continue to lead the way in Bahrain?

19. Raikkonen: Ferrari atmosphere better than ever

Apr 17, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT

Raikkonen 174 Getty Images

Finnish driver delighted with how things are going at Maranello in 2015, but says his future is down to the team.