Will Tony Stewart finally break Daytona 500 jinx on Sunday?

Feb 21, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT

Coke Zero 400 - Qualifying Getty Images

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – What should potentially be one of the biggest storylines heading into Sunday’s 56th Daytona 500 hasn’t even registered a blip on the NASCAR media radar this year.

With so much attention focused on Austin Dillon bringing the legendary No. 3 back to the Sprint Cup Series after a 13-year absence and then putting it on the pole for Sunday’s race, the media seem to have forgotten an almost equally important story.

Tony Stewart will make his 16th consecutive career start in the Daytona 500 this Sunday, making him third among active drivers with the most starts without a win in the field for the Great American Race.

Terry Labonte, who has announced that Sunday will be his final career start at Daytona, tops the list with 32 starts in the 500 without a win. Brother Bobby will make his 22nd start on Sunday without a win in the big race.

Over the last four or five 500s, Stewart has come into Speedweeks as arguably one of the key focal points of media attention not because of what he’s done, but what he’s not done.

But no one is talking about Stewart’s 0-for-15 record in this year’s edition of Speedweeks.

Stewart comes into Sunday as essentially the Dale Earnhardt of his generation when it comes to Daytona 500 success. After years of frustration, Earnhardt finally won his first – and ultimately only – Daytona 500 in his 20th try in 1998.

At the same time, Stewart, a winner of 48 career races in 521 starts on the Cup circuit, is somewhat of a paradox.

It’s not that he’s a bad driver at Daytona. In 30 career Cup starts there, he has four wins, but all have come in summer’s Coca Zero 400. Stewart also has nine top-5 and 14 top-10 finishes on the high banks of Daytona International Speedway.

He also has seven Nationwide Series wins there.

After four top-five and three other top-10 finishes in an eight-year stretch of the 500 from 2002 through 2009 (he also finished a career-worse 43rd in 2007), Stewart has struggled in the last four editions of the Great American Race: 22nd (2010), 13th (2011), 16th (2012) and his second-worst finish in the race, 41st, last season.

“You look at marquee events around the world, and not only NASCAR but in all of motorsports – the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the 24 Hours At Daytona, the Indy 500, the Knoxville Nationals – and to be a driver that can cross off one of those marquee events as a winner, that cements your legacy in motorsports,” Stewart said. “To be able to win the Daytona 500 is the ultimate dream of a racecar driver.”

A Daytona 500 win is unquestionably “No. 1″ on his bucket list, Stewart said.

“I may never get a chance to run in those other marquee events, so that’s why it puts the Daytona 500 at the top, because it’s something that we actually have a shot at,” Stewart said, referring again to Le Mans, the Indy 500, etc. “But it is hard. It’s a hard race, and it’s not like you get to come back next week and try it again if you don’t accomplish it. You get one shot a year to accomplish this goal.”

With Sunday being Stewart’s first official points-paying Cup race since last summer’s wreck in a sprint car race that resulted in a severely broken leg and caused him to miss the final 15 races of the season, a win Sunday would be all the more sweeter.

That’s not to say Stewart hasn’t come close to winning NASCAR’s biggest race. He was runner-up in the 2004 race and third in 2002 and 2008.

The latter finish still eats at Stewart six years later, when he watched Ryan Newman and Kurt Busch make a last lap charge past him to the checkered flag to finish 1-2.

“I’ve run that race over in my mind a million times on what I thought I could’ve done differently,” Stewart said. “If it would’ve been the Daytona 498, I had it won. I was forced to make a decision of whether I was going to put my whole race in jeopardy to win it, or know that I was getting passed but I may have a shot to get it back in the end.

“I took the safer route, and I wish I would’ve thrown caution to the wind. I think I would’ve rather crashed out of it knowing that I did everything I could, but I wasn’t sure that if I made the move to block Ryan to get in front of him – they were coming at such a high rate of speed – I was probably going to crash half the field if I moved.

“That decision to play it safe has haunted me ever since. So, if that situation happens again, I may come back on a hook, but at least I can say I know I did everything I could do to give myself that shot.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. WATCH: MAVTV 500 replay and INDYCAR championship celebration tonight, starting 8 p.m. ET

Sep 2, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

MAVTV 500 Ð Day 1 Getty Images

The Fontana race replay and championship celebration air tonight on NBCSN from 8 p.m. ET through 11:30 p.m. ET.

2. NASCAR AMERICA: Who can challenge Hendrick, Penske drivers in Chase? (VIDEO)

Sep 2, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT

Irwin Tools Night Race - Qualifying Getty Images

NASCAR AMERICA’s Kyle Petty and Parker Kligerman have their ideas on who can beat out NASCAR’s two strongest teams for a championship.

3. NASCAR AMERICA: Kahne looking ahead to the Chase (VIDEO)

Sep 2, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT

Oral-B USA 500 Getty Images

The newest Chase-bound driver chats with NBCSN’s Marty Snider about his win on Sunday at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

4. Everything you need to know for Saturday’s Federated Auto Parts 400 at Richmond

Sep 2, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT

Jeff Gordon AP

400 miles. 2 Chase Grid spots. It all comes down to Saturday night.

5. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA talks with Atlanta winner Kahne at 5 p.m. ET

Sep 2, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

(Photo: Sarah Glenn/Getty Images) Getty Images

Coming up today: Beating the Hendrick/Penske bloc; Atlanta edition of “Scan All 43″; Kyle Busch’s continued struggles; the career of crew chief Jimmy Fennig.

6. American driver Conor Daly loses GP2 ride with Venezuela GP Lazarus

Sep 2, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

© GP2 Media © GP2 Media

Daly confirms the tough news on his Twitter page, citing a “lack of funding” as the cause for his dropping.

7. NASCAR: Turner Scott shuts down No. 30 team in Truck Series

Sep 2, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

Pocono Mountains 150 - Practice Getty Images

Ron Hornaday Jr. is out of a ride and 18 employees are out of a job.

8. Fernando Alonso denies rumors of leaving Ferrari

Sep 2, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Belgium - Practice Getty Images

Alonso to Britain’s Sky Sports: “I want to win here and finish the job that we started some years ago, and we will see what the future [holds]“

9. MRTI: Hargrove (Porsche GT3 Canada) and Burkett (Atlantic) capture other titles

Sep 2, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT

Green, Hargrove, Pigot. Photo: IMSA Green, Hargrove, Pigot. Photo: IMSA

Mazda Road to Indy regulars Scott Hargrove and Daniel Burkett secure titles in Porsche GT3 Canada and Atlantic, respectively.

10. Caterham GP2 team brings in Red Bull Junior Pierre Gasly for rest of 2014

Sep 2, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

Photo via @RedBullMotors Photo via @RedBullMotors

Pierre Gasly, a Red Bull Junior, will join Caterham’s GP2 team for the rest of 2014.

11. Your Chase clinch scenarios for Saturday’s regular season finale

Sep 2, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

Irwin Tools Night Race - Practice Getty Images

Ryan Newman is the only Chase hopeful that controls his destiny going into Saturday’s Federated Auto Parts 400.

12. Mikhail Aleshin updates social media for first time since Fontana accident

Sep 2, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT

AleshinSunIMS Getty Images

Mikhail Aleshin updates his social media pages for first time since scary Fontana accident on Friday night.

13. Gene Haas’ F1 team changes team name, launches new pages

Sep 2, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT

Gene Haas Formula One Press Conference Getty Images

What was Haas Formula is now Haas F1 Team as part of a new brand rollout.

14. United Fiber & Data announces IndyCar return; capacity, driver TBD

Sep 2, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Photo: INDYCAR Photo: INDYCAR

United Fiber & Data looks set to return to IndyCar for 2015 and the foreseeable future.

15. Cindric proposes IndyCar champion Will Power will run No. 1 in 2015

Sep 2, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

WillNumber AP

Team Penske president Tim Cindric all but confirms Will Power will run the No. 1 in 2015.

16. MAVTV announces two-year IndyCar extension at Fontana; date TBD

Sep 2, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

MAVTV 500 Getty Images

MAVTV announces IndyCar’s return to Fontana for two more years through 2016, although official confirmation from the sanctioning body and a date remains to be revealed.

17. NASCAR AMERICA: Kahne’s in Chase, but knows he and No. 5 team must improve (VIDEO)

Sep 1, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

Oral-B USA 500 Getty Images

Kahne to NBCSN contributor Nate Ryan: “We need to build off of this…As a team, we need to be stronger together.”

18. NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO)

Sep 1, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

Oral-B USA 500 Getty Images

NASCAR AMERICA’S Kyle Petty and Parker Kligerman believe that the three-time Sprint Cup champion handled himself well throughout a difficult weekend.

19. F1: Sochi grandstand to be named for Toro Rosso rookie Kvyat

Sep 1, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary - Qualifying Getty Images

Organizers of the Russian Grand Prix appear to be getting behind their countryman as F1’s first visit to Sochi draws closer.

20. NHRA: Four first-time U.S. Nationals winners crowned in Indianapolis

Sep 1, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT

DeJoriaWin AP

Richie Crampton, Alexis DeJoria, Shane Gray and Eddie Krawiec captured U.S. Nationals wins on Monday.

Video from NASCAR America

Tony Stewart does well in return
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches