Will Tony Stewart finally break Daytona 500 jinx on Sunday?

Feb 21, 2014, 7:20 PM EST

Coke Zero 400 - Qualifying Getty Images

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – What should potentially be one of the biggest storylines heading into Sunday’s 56th Daytona 500 hasn’t even registered a blip on the NASCAR media radar this year.

With so much attention focused on Austin Dillon bringing the legendary No. 3 back to the Sprint Cup Series after a 13-year absence and then putting it on the pole for Sunday’s race, the media seem to have forgotten an almost equally important story.

Tony Stewart will make his 16th consecutive career start in the Daytona 500 this Sunday, making him third among active drivers with the most starts without a win in the field for the Great American Race.

Terry Labonte, who has announced that Sunday will be his final career start at Daytona, tops the list with 32 starts in the 500 without a win. Brother Bobby will make his 22nd start on Sunday without a win in the big race.

Over the last four or five 500s, Stewart has come into Speedweeks as arguably one of the key focal points of media attention not because of what he’s done, but what he’s not done.

But no one is talking about Stewart’s 0-for-15 record in this year’s edition of Speedweeks.

Stewart comes into Sunday as essentially the Dale Earnhardt of his generation when it comes to Daytona 500 success. After years of frustration, Earnhardt finally won his first – and ultimately only – Daytona 500 in his 20th try in 1998.

At the same time, Stewart, a winner of 48 career races in 521 starts on the Cup circuit, is somewhat of a paradox.

It’s not that he’s a bad driver at Daytona. In 30 career Cup starts there, he has four wins, but all have come in summer’s Coca Zero 400. Stewart also has nine top-5 and 14 top-10 finishes on the high banks of Daytona International Speedway.

He also has seven Nationwide Series wins there.

After four top-five and three other top-10 finishes in an eight-year stretch of the 500 from 2002 through 2009 (he also finished a career-worse 43rd in 2007), Stewart has struggled in the last four editions of the Great American Race: 22nd (2010), 13th (2011), 16th (2012) and his second-worst finish in the race, 41st, last season.

“You look at marquee events around the world, and not only NASCAR but in all of motorsports – the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the 24 Hours At Daytona, the Indy 500, the Knoxville Nationals – and to be a driver that can cross off one of those marquee events as a winner, that cements your legacy in motorsports,” Stewart said. “To be able to win the Daytona 500 is the ultimate dream of a racecar driver.”

A Daytona 500 win is unquestionably “No. 1″ on his bucket list, Stewart said.

“I may never get a chance to run in those other marquee events, so that’s why it puts the Daytona 500 at the top, because it’s something that we actually have a shot at,” Stewart said, referring again to Le Mans, the Indy 500, etc. “But it is hard. It’s a hard race, and it’s not like you get to come back next week and try it again if you don’t accomplish it. You get one shot a year to accomplish this goal.”

With Sunday being Stewart’s first official points-paying Cup race since last summer’s wreck in a sprint car race that resulted in a severely broken leg and caused him to miss the final 15 races of the season, a win Sunday would be all the more sweeter.

That’s not to say Stewart hasn’t come close to winning NASCAR’s biggest race. He was runner-up in the 2004 race and third in 2002 and 2008.

The latter finish still eats at Stewart six years later, when he watched Ryan Newman and Kurt Busch make a last lap charge past him to the checkered flag to finish 1-2.

“I’ve run that race over in my mind a million times on what I thought I could’ve done differently,” Stewart said. “If it would’ve been the Daytona 498, I had it won. I was forced to make a decision of whether I was going to put my whole race in jeopardy to win it, or know that I was getting passed but I may have a shot to get it back in the end.

“I took the safer route, and I wish I would’ve thrown caution to the wind. I think I would’ve rather crashed out of it knowing that I did everything I could, but I wasn’t sure that if I made the move to block Ryan to get in front of him – they were coming at such a high rate of speed – I was probably going to crash half the field if I moved.

“That decision to play it safe has haunted me ever since. So, if that situation happens again, I may come back on a hook, but at least I can say I know I did everything I could do to give myself that shot.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing

Mar 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EST

Agag2 Getty Images

FIA Formula E CEO Alejandro Agag outlines goals for upcoming two U.S. races, and recaps the first four thus far.

2. Pirelli confirms tire choice for first four Grands Prix

Mar 4, 2015, 9:51 AM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Germany - Previews Getty Images

Soft and medium the main choice for Pirelli in three of first four Grands Prix.

3. Marciello confirms FP1 outing for Sauber in Malaysia

Mar 4, 2015, 8:14 AM EST

MarcielloAD1 Getty Images

Raffaele Marciello set for Malaysia FP1 appearance at Sauber.

4. PWC: 2015 driver/team rundown, GT, GTA, GT Cup

Mar 3, 2015, 7:00 PM EST

WC

One to two sentence bullet point rundown on the PWC GT, GTA, GT Cup field heading into COTA and the 2015 season.

5. Pippa Mann to serve as a Team Captain in Komen Central Indiana Race for the Cure

Mar 3, 2015, 4:45 PM EST

Photo: Susan G. Komen Central Indiana Affiliate Photo: Susan G. Komen Central Indiana Affiliate

Pippa’s Pink Posse to feature prominently in Komen Race for the Cure, for Central Indiana Affiliate.

6. F1 2015 team preview: Mercedes

Mar 3, 2015, 4:00 PM EST

F1 Testing In Jerez - Day One Getty Images

It’s the race to repeat in 2015, but will it be Lewis Hamilton or Nico Rosberg who takes the title?

7. McLaren’s already difficult offseason unaided by its handling of Alonso story

Mar 3, 2015, 3:00 PM EST

McLaren-Honda Announces New Driver Line-Up For 2015 Getty Images

Fernando Alonso’s accident in testing has raised way more questions than answers.

8. Florida Power & Light signs onto Miami ePrix; Brabham enjoys demo run (PHOTOS)

Mar 3, 2015, 10:51 AM EST

Milwaukee IndyFest - Day 1 Getty Images

Formula E partners with FPL for Miami ePrix; Matty Brabham does the demo runs.

9. Rolling Stone partners with Tequila Patron ESM for the 24 Hours of Le Mans

Mar 3, 2015, 10:06 AM EST

PatronD24 AP

Tequila Patron ESM, Rolling Stone come together for one-off outing at 24 Hours of Le Mans.

10. Susie Wolff will have at least two FP1 outings, Spain and Britain

Mar 3, 2015, 9:53 AM EST

Australian F1 Grand Prix - Practice Getty Images

Susie Wolff confirmed for Spain, Silverstone FP1 outings and another day in Austria.

11. Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix

Mar 3, 2015, 7:54 AM EST

Fernando Alonso AP

Alonso ruled out of season opener, following medical advice.

12. Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO)

Mar 2, 2015, 7:31 PM EST

F1 Testing In Barcelona - Day Three Getty Images

Mercedes F1: Road to Repeat premieres this Thursday, March 5, at 8 p.m. ET on NBCSN.

13. GP of NOLA weekend schedule announced

Mar 2, 2015, 5:16 PM EST

indynola

Jam-packed schedule for inaugural GP of NOLA weekend.

14. FIA WEC: Toyota Racing’s lead trio tackles Tokyo (VIDEO)

Mar 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EST

FIA World Endurance Championship 6 Hours of Bahrain Getty Images

Toyota Racing’s trio of Davidson, Buemi and Nakajima tour Tokyo.

15. Indy 500 ticket reveal set for March 5

Mar 2, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

Ryan Hunter-Reay AP

RHR’s image on Indianapolis 500 tickets to be unveiled on Thursday.

16. PWC enters 2015 season with an overflow of riches in all classes

Mar 2, 2015, 1:00 PM EST

WC

With 114 cars total and a manufacturer overload, things look promising for Pirelli World Challenge heading into 2015.

17. F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness

Mar 2, 2015, 11:00 AM EST

Mercedes Formula One driver Rosberg of Germany leads the pack at the start of the Australian F1 Grand Prix in Melbourne Reuters

F1 and IndyCar kick off; NHRA, sports cars and ladder series also have a busy month of March ahead.

18. F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup

Mar 2, 2015, 9:30 AM EST

RosbergFinalBarc Getty Images

Mercedes leads in pace, and lap count as F1 preseason testing is in the books for 2015.

19. Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season

Mar 2, 2015, 8:59 AM EST

MickSchu Getty Images

Mick Schumacher to advance from karting into cars this season.