Feb 22, 2014, 12:27 AM EDT
Williams has doubled its quota of Brazilians named Felipe, with overnight news emerging ahead of the final day of testing in Bahrain.
The legendary team confirmed the signing of Felipe Nasr as its official reserve and test driver behind race drivers Felipe Massa (his countryman) and Valtteri Bottas. Nasr will be in the FW36-Mercedes for Saturday’s fourth day of Bahrain testing. He’ll also partake in five free practice one sessions during the course of the 2014 season.
“I am very happy to be part of the Williams family,” Nasr said. “They have a great history in the sport and some of Brazil’s greatest pilots of all time spent by staff, so it is an honor to join names as Piquet, Senna and Massa. This is a fantastic opportunity for this next step in my career and can not wait to drive an F1 car for the first time in Bahrain on Saturday. “
Added team principal Frank Williams, “Felipe has a strong record of success in his career so far, and we’ve watched closely for a while. We have a history in Williams to bring new talent and give them a chance to show what they can do on the biggest stage in the world. When driving in FP1 five sessions this season, Felipe will have the perfect opportunity to show his skills, and I am confident he will be a strong addition to our squad of pilots.”
The 21-year-old finished fourth in his second season of GP2 in 2013. Nasr won the 2011 British F3 title and has also made a single start at the Rolex 24 at Daytona, finishing third overall in a previous generation Ford Riley Daytona Prototype in 2012 for Michael Shank Racing.
Williams is yet to confirm whether Susie Wolff will have a continued role in the team. She joined up as a test and development driver for the team starting in 2012.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)