Feb 23, 2014, 9:41 PM EDT
They’ve raced to the halfway mark in the Daytona 500. The question now is can they go the full distance, if another round of storms heads in from the west.
Richard Petty’s Aric Almirola and Danica Patrick were among the race leaders during the green flag pit stop sequence that wrapped by lap 90. Both have now fallen outside of the top 15 after their stops.
Cole Whitt for Swan Racing was best of the “underdogs” at the halfway mark, 11th at lap 100. Josh Wise, Parker Kligerman, Justin Allgaier and David Gilliland also spent time in the top five during the pit sequence.
Biggest loser in this sequence since the restart has been Kyle Busch, who led at the restart. Busch left a pit stop with an air gun attached, then exacerbated the problem when his original pass-through penalty was upgraded to a full stop-and-go when he failed to serve the pass-through. Some salty radio language followed.
No miracles tonight for April Talladega winner David Ragan of Front Row Motorsports, who headed behind the wall just before the halfway mark.
More updates to follow throughout the race.
Video from NASCAR America
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2
- VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show, talks about F1 in the U.S. 0
- Tune-In: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show (PHOTOS) 1
- Different agendas for Jeff Gordon, Dale Jr. at Homestead test 1
- NBC, NBCSN set for mega U.S. Grand Prix weekend of coverage from Austin 2
- Lewis Hamilton to join TODAY Show on Wednesday 0