Marco Andretti tweets what some in IndyCar might be thinking

Feb 23, 2014, 1:48 PM EST

Auto Club Speedway - Day 1 Getty Images

The 2014 Daytona 500 is underway.

It ran through 20 laps caution-free and is primarily single-file. Kyle Larson spun on Turn 2 though on Lap 23, and that caused the first caution of the race.

It amuses Marco Andretti, who tweeted something that those in the IndyCar world are probably thinking right now but won’t say publicly.

Andretti will be among those in contention for IndyCar’s most famous race, the Indianapolis 500, in May.

The IndyCar season starts March 30 on the streets of St. Petersburg, Florida.

1. biggdaddy007 - Feb 23, 2014 at 2:28 PM

he is right looks like a frieght train

2. testover6370 - Feb 23, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Say what you will about Indycar, they fixed their processional racing problem.

• jimrittenour - Feb 25, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Maybe Marco was one of you who mistook the re-broadcast of the 2013 Daytona played throughout the rain delay; fans were twitting Jimmie Johnson and congratulating him on the victory.

If you were, then you missed one of the greatest 500’s run in awhile, if you understood the sport to any degree.

Many Indy wine (pronounced whine) sippers have tried their hand at driving 3,500 pounds around corners at 180mph. Most don’t make it. Some have, and some will.

If Marco wanted to give it a go for an entire season (some day he will, I bet,) he’d spend it getting his pumpkin kicked around from Dana for most races. She used to get dismayed by all the contact, but got over that when she came to understand that it isn’t Indy, it’s not for pussies (no pun, and don’t get me wrong, we got plenty of pussies in NASCAR too; Marco would be welcome there).

It’s just like any sport. You need to look deeper into it.

I appreciate your refined judgment Marco.

But I remember when you guys ambled along in chassis with your feet in front of the front suspension, not to mention chassis prone to splitting in half from a solid hit. Talk about dumb. The Formula One guys (they have nothing to brag about either) referred to Indy drivers as idiots for it, and they were correct.

I’ll watch your Indy 500. I’ll count the cautions. I’ll hope for 10 laps steady before the checkers. I’ll look for the very things you criticize about NASCAR.

I’ll watch.

3. midtec2005 - Feb 23, 2014 at 3:30 PM

$10000 says there is a G/W/C, whos taking the bet?

• crunge4461 - Feb 23, 2014 at 5:46 PM

I expect Vegas is taking that bet, what I would like to see is what the odds are on that bet. Marco is right, it is unfortunate that Daytona with Restrictor plates has become a ‘ride around for 190 laps’ then try to win in the last 10. That is too bad, the Nationwide Race was pretty boring it was just a double-file traffic jam, no one could step out and pass.

• midtec2005 - Feb 24, 2014 at 11:09 AM

I win.

• indycarseries500 - Feb 25, 2014 at 9:33 AM

It was the last two laps of the race though, so technically don’t you lose?

• midtec2005 - Feb 26, 2014 at 9:02 PM

I’m not sure. Technically it was still GWC, but not extra laps. Tough call.

4. bigdcart - Feb 24, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Spot on Marco. The on-track product of IndyCar is it’s strength right now. Can’t say the same with Napcar or F1.

5. briankcurtisstude41 - Feb 24, 2014 at 3:45 PM

If I wanted to see a demolition derby, I’d go watch a demolition derby. NASCAR has to learn how to race….

6. cactuschet - Feb 24, 2014 at 4:21 PM

One wonders why Marco was watching at all. It’s the same old axiom: If you don’t like it , don’t watch it. Since the recession began several years back, motorsports took a big hit in attendance. Indy Cars were in trouble anyway due to mismanagement. NASCAR still attracts MORE fans than Indy Car despite this downturn. Anyone that thinks the Daytona 500 was all single file, failed to watch the race play out. And calling it a demolition derby only resembles many of the Indy races of late.

7. timaug - Feb 24, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Andretti is A MORON. he races in a group of 20 racers of which 5 could win.
    talk about a boring race group, INDY CARS ARE IT.

• spa67 - Feb 24, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Have you seen and INDY car race in the last 20 years?

• midtec2005 - Feb 26, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Bro, 10 drivers won last year… in only 18 races. A Penske car didn’t win until about half way through the season. You obviously haven’t watched an Indycar race… maybe ever.

8. spa67 - Feb 24, 2014 at 9:36 PM

It’s not racing, It’s survival.

The more you focus on manufacturing once rare photo finishes and “game 7 moments” the less important the other 35 races and 499 miles become.

Great races have been won in the first lap or somewhere in the middle. NASCAR might beg to differ, but it’s true.

Like most NASCAR events I watched the race, on DVR fast forward until the inevitable GWC finish. FYI NASCAR-I did not watch ONE SINGLE COMMERCIAL.

9. twosco2 - Feb 24, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Watching Danica Patrick racing Richard Petty, cool; watching the Daytona 500, not so cool.

Video from NASCAR America