Feb 23, 2014, 1:53 PM EST
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – It has not started out to be a very good Daytona 500 debut as a Sprint Cup driver for rookie Kyle Larson.
Larson, who replaced Juan Pablo Montoya in the No. 42 Chip Ganassi Racing/Target Chevrolet this season, hit the wall at Daytona International Speedway twice in the opening laps of Sunday’s race.
After pitting to fix damage and replace a right front tire, Larson went back on the racetrack.
Unfortunately, the problem came back several laps later in a big way, with Larson’s car spinning into the grass on Lap 22.
Larson went back to the pits for yet another new right front tire and to repair the new damage.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Manor passes final crash tests ahead of Australian GP 1
- WATCH: Mercedes F1: Road to Repeat at 8 p.m. ET highlights F1 block on NBCSN 0
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 3
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1