Feb 23, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – It has not started out to be a very good Daytona 500 debut as a Sprint Cup driver for rookie Kyle Larson.
Larson, who replaced Juan Pablo Montoya in the No. 42 Chip Ganassi Racing/Target Chevrolet this season, hit the wall at Daytona International Speedway twice in the opening laps of Sunday’s race.
After pitting to fix damage and replace a right front tire, Larson went back on the racetrack.
Unfortunately, the problem came back several laps later in a big way, with Larson’s car spinning into the grass on Lap 22.
Larson went back to the pits for yet another new right front tire and to repair the new damage.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Drivers ponder why cars didn’t go airborne during the Indianapolis 500 1
- Bell: “A wild Indy 500 without the finish we desired” 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 2
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory (VIDEO) 10
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 4
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 53