Feb 23, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – It has not started out to be a very good Daytona 500 debut as a Sprint Cup driver for rookie Kyle Larson.
Larson, who replaced Juan Pablo Montoya in the No. 42 Chip Ganassi Racing/Target Chevrolet this season, hit the wall at Daytona International Speedway twice in the opening laps of Sunday’s race.
After pitting to fix damage and replace a right front tire, Larson went back on the racetrack.
Unfortunately, the problem came back several laps later in a big way, with Larson’s car spinning into the grass on Lap 22.
Larson went back to the pits for yet another new right front tire and to repair the new damage.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 0
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 1
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 4
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 2
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 3