Feb 23, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – It has not started out to be a very good Daytona 500 debut as a Sprint Cup driver for rookie Kyle Larson.
Larson, who replaced Juan Pablo Montoya in the No. 42 Chip Ganassi Racing/Target Chevrolet this season, hit the wall at Daytona International Speedway twice in the opening laps of Sunday’s race.
After pitting to fix damage and replace a right front tire, Larson went back on the racetrack.
Unfortunately, the problem came back several laps later in a big way, with Larson’s car spinning into the grass on Lap 22.
Larson went back to the pits for yet another new right front tire and to repair the new damage.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Joey Logano avoids “yellow fever,” wins at N.H. to advance in Chase 1
- Wreck involves several Chase drivers; Keselowski spins, suffers minor damage 0
- Rosberg reflects on a tough day in Singapore (VIDEO) 1
- Reports: 2015 Sprint Cup rules package expected to be released on Tuesday 0
- Hamilton rules in Singapore to re-take championship lead as Rosberg retires 0
- Rosberg forced to retire in Singapore after electrical glitch 0
- Brendan Gaughan takes lead with 6 laps to go, wins Nationwide at Kentucky 0