Feb 24, 2014, 12:06 AM EDT
Off of Turn 4, contact triggered between Kevin Harvick and Jamie McMurray also caught up Kyle Busch, Reed Sorenson and Carl Edwards. Edwards told reporters after the race that there was fluid on the track on the last lap, which triggered the yellow.
The wreck put the finishing order under review, and was the third such “big one” of the evening. Two ones occurred earlier in the night, taking out multiple cars.
Unofficially, Harvick and McMurray were 13th and 14th, with Sorenson 16th, Edwards 17th and Busch 21st.
Because the caution occurred before the checkered flag, the field was frozen behind Earnhardt Jr. and Denny Hamlin in the top two spots. Brad Keselowski ended third ahead Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson.
Cut to about 0:45 in the video below to see the wreck on the last lap.
Video from NASCAR America
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 3
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 7
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1