Susie Wolff re-ups with Williams; will participate in 2 FP1 sessions

Feb 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

Spain Female Driver AP

Williams had a solid test this past week in Bahrain, and confirmed new reserve and test driver Felipe Nasr. He won’t be alone on Williams’ bench behind its two race drivers, as the team confirmed Susie Wolff’s return as a development driver.

Wolff will participate in two Friday free practice one sessions, and the Silverstone Young Drivers Test during the summer in the FW36-Mercedes.

The identity of which two Grand Prix weekends she will participate in is still to be determined. However, her appearance will mark the first official weekend participation for a female driver in Formula One in more than 20 years, since Giovanna Amati in 1992.

‘‘I’m grateful for the support and belief Williams continue to show in me and 2014 promises to be a very important milestone in my career,” she said in a release. “My responsibilities within the team have steadily increased as I have proved myself, culminating in the opportunity to test the car at Silverstone and conduct straight line aero tests last season.

“Competing in two FP1 sessions, alongside an additional full test day this season will be a big step and I am looking forward to the opportunity to get behind the wheel of the FW36 on a Grand Prix weekend,” she added. “It’s a challenge that I will relish and it will be a great chance for me to continue assisting the team.’’

Nasr’s role was confirmed last week, and the Brazilian will participate in five FP1 sessions. He also had his first day of running on Saturday in Bahrain.

1. mega1480 - Feb 24, 2014 at 3:39 PM

This is good news for the DTM as she will no longer be able to continue her Vettel like domination if the competition, truly pay drivers and publicity stunts are a thing of the past.

2. manik56 - Feb 24, 2014 at 7:19 PM

F1 is always giving 31 year old drivers who haven’t won anything a test drive.

• indycarseries500 - Feb 24, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Hey, Danica is 31 and she’s at least won something maybe Gene Haas can get her one.

• mgilbert62 - Feb 25, 2014 at 2:41 AM

So you’ve never watched F1 huh………..

• mgilbert62 - Feb 25, 2014 at 2:49 AM

so, you don’t actually watch F1 it’s that obvious. If you did you’d realize most “test drives” go to people who are around 20 years old. I was actually shocked that someone 31 got to have anything to do with the “the young drivers test”.
      Mark Webber retired from F1 last year at the ripe old age of 38.

• indycarseries500 - Feb 25, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic

3. indycar02 - Feb 24, 2014 at 9:00 PM

go susie & simona (sauber f1 in 2015).

4. kitnamania13 - Feb 25, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Despite her lack of results in DTM and the fact that she slept her way into this position, I’m rooting for her. I think she does have some talent, and she did a creditable job when she tested the car last season. Also, at the risk of offending any Nico Rosberg fans, I have to say she’s the prettiest driver out there.

• testover6370 - Feb 25, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Agreed. When she got the chance to test last year I expected it to be a farce based on her DTM results, but lo and behold she actually put in some solid times during that test. You’ll always have to wonder if her uh… personal connections are what made the difference, but based on last year’s test I’d say she’s as deserving as any other “affiliated” driver or whatever they’re calling them now.

5. racefanbill - Feb 26, 2014 at 2:25 PM

I don’t see anything in her past racing history that suggests she deserves this seat. Its nothing personal but Simona deSilvestro’s resume and history of results runs circles around this lady.

Video from NASCAR America