Feb 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
A couple quick news and notes from the IndyCar world, as we enter the final month of five this offseason before the season opener:
- 2013 St. Petersburg winner James Hinchcliffe (right) headed down to the site of this year’s Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg to help participate in the ceremonial start of the track build. More than 20,000 feet of steel-reinforced concrete block will line the picturesque but challenging 1.8-mile, 14-turn temporary street circuit that incorporates a runway of Albert Whitted Airport. Said the Canadian, who’s also riding high on the backs of his national hockey team’s double Gold medal-winning performance in Olympic hockey, “Obviously, with what happened last year, it holds a special place in my heart. It was a very emotional day last year on race day for all the right reasons.”
- While the “Mayor of Hinchtown” was deployed to St. Pete, 2013 Indianapolis 500 winner Tony Kanaan was at the Crane Bay Event Venue in downtown Indianapolis to unveil the 2014 race tickets for this year’s race. The tickets feature the likeness of the defending champion; it’s the latest in a series of events Kanaan has done to promote his win, which this winter also included receiving a “Baby Borg” and “Mini Baby Borg” from BorgWarner for both him and son, Leo.
— Tony Kanaan (@TonyKanaan) February 24, 2014
- Schmidt Peterson Motorsports will make a team announcement regarding its third driver on Wednesday for the Indianapolis 500, although the identity of that driver already has been released by RACER.com on Monday night. We’ll do further posts after the official announcement, and what it could mean for the sport and/or the race at that time.
Video from NASCAR America
- Caterham denies future is at risk despite goods being seized 1
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 7
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 23
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3