Feb 25, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
Tough but not unexpected news from the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship world emerged on Monday, as the GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing team announced it wouldn’t participate in further 2014 races.
The team’s No. 99 “Red Dragon” Corvette DP was totaled in the accident that sent Memo Gidley to the hospital. Stallings’ group had planned a reduced schedule anyway in 2014, and the damage was too much to make anything happen for the rest of the year.
Per the team release, they’ll evaluate and see how the Prototype class technical regulations shake out the rest of the year before deciding on 2015 plans. All drivers (Alex Gurney, Jon Fogarty, Darren Law) and crew have been released for opportunities available with other teams.
“It is with great regret that we will have to suspend operations for the balance of the 2014 season,” said team owner Stallings. “Since Daytona, priority one for us has been on Memo’s recovery. Everyone on the team has been focused on his care and comfort, and it has meant the world to see such support from the fans and the racing community at large. Even though Memo has a long road ahead, the worst is behind him, and it has allowed us to step back and take a look at the program at large. With both the personal and economic strain this has put on us, we feel it’s in the best interest of everyone to sit out this year, with a firm focus on a return in 2015.”
It’s a good group of guys, and for drivers Gurney and Fogarty, seeing them somewhere else than GAINSCO will be hard to get used to. That’s if they can find a ride at this stage of the game.
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 0
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 2
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1