Feb 25, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
Tough but not unexpected news from the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship world emerged on Monday, as the GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing team announced it wouldn’t participate in further 2014 races.
The team’s No. 99 “Red Dragon” Corvette DP was totaled in the accident that sent Memo Gidley to the hospital. Stallings’ group had planned a reduced schedule anyway in 2014, and the damage was too much to make anything happen for the rest of the year.
Per the team release, they’ll evaluate and see how the Prototype class technical regulations shake out the rest of the year before deciding on 2015 plans. All drivers (Alex Gurney, Jon Fogarty, Darren Law) and crew have been released for opportunities available with other teams.
“It is with great regret that we will have to suspend operations for the balance of the 2014 season,” said team owner Stallings. “Since Daytona, priority one for us has been on Memo’s recovery. Everyone on the team has been focused on his care and comfort, and it has meant the world to see such support from the fans and the racing community at large. Even though Memo has a long road ahead, the worst is behind him, and it has allowed us to step back and take a look at the program at large. With both the personal and economic strain this has put on us, we feel it’s in the best interest of everyone to sit out this year, with a firm focus on a return in 2015.”
It’s a good group of guys, and for drivers Gurney and Fogarty, seeing them somewhere else than GAINSCO will be hard to get used to. That’s if they can find a ride at this stage of the game.
Video from NASCAR America
- Steve Letarte reflects on Hendrick Motorsports career in “exit interview” (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap: Lewis Hamilton back on top of the F1 mountain 2
- Maurizio Arrivabene replaces Marco Mattiacci as Ferrari team principal 4
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 3
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 10
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0