Feb 26, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
NASCAR’s top division in Mexico, the Toyota Series, will continue to run under the NASCAR banner through the 2023 season after yesterday’s announcement of a 10-year agreement between the sanctioning body and Grupo CIE.
The series will once again begin its season here in the United States with the Toyota 120 on Friday night at Phoenix International Raceway.
“This extension symbolizes the strength of our relationship with NASCAR,” Toyota Series managing director Federico Alaman said in a statement.
“I’m very proud of how far the series has come since its inception and continuing to operate under the NASCAR banner for many years to come will reinforce the high level of competition and excitement the NASCAR Mexico Toyota Series brings to every event.”
In his own thoughts, NASCAR executive vice president of racing operations Steve O’Donnell called the agreement a sign of “the international impact NASCAR is making.”
“The NASCAR Mexico Toyota Series continues to be a bridge that makes NASCAR more relevant to the Hispanic community in the U.S.,” he continued. “Along with the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series and the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series, the NASCAR Mexico Toyota Series gives our sport a strong and unified presence across North America and Europe.”
Friday night’s race will be broadcast live en Espanol at 9 p.m. ET on mun2 (pronounced moon-dos) as a production of Deportes Telemundo.
The race will also be live-streamed at DeportesTelemundo.com. Telemundo and mun2 are NBCUniversal-owned networks.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 7 p.m. ET recaps Talladega 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 1
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 0
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 3
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10