Feb 26, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
NASCAR’s top division in Mexico, the Toyota Series, will continue to run under the NASCAR banner through the 2023 season after yesterday’s announcement of a 10-year agreement between the sanctioning body and Grupo CIE.
The series will once again begin its season here in the United States with the Toyota 120 on Friday night at Phoenix International Raceway.
“This extension symbolizes the strength of our relationship with NASCAR,” Toyota Series managing director Federico Alaman said in a statement.
“I’m very proud of how far the series has come since its inception and continuing to operate under the NASCAR banner for many years to come will reinforce the high level of competition and excitement the NASCAR Mexico Toyota Series brings to every event.”
In his own thoughts, NASCAR executive vice president of racing operations Steve O’Donnell called the agreement a sign of “the international impact NASCAR is making.”
“The NASCAR Mexico Toyota Series continues to be a bridge that makes NASCAR more relevant to the Hispanic community in the U.S.,” he continued. “Along with the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series and the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series, the NASCAR Mexico Toyota Series gives our sport a strong and unified presence across North America and Europe.”
Friday night’s race will be broadcast live en Espanol at 9 p.m. ET on mun2 (pronounced moon-dos) as a production of Deportes Telemundo.
The race will also be live-streamed at DeportesTelemundo.com. Telemundo and mun2 are NBCUniversal-owned networks.
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 1
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 8
- Sebastian Saavedra leads at halfway in IndyCar season finale (VIDEO) 0
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 1
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2