Feb 27, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
You couldn’t escape that sound if you watched NASCAR broadcasts last year: “Oh, you’re an idiot and I’m gonna kill you!”
That was from Jeff Gordon and Pepsi’s “Test Drive” film, in which the four-time Sprint Cup champion – disguised as a milquetoast customer that’s supposedly in the market for a new car – takes a salesman for a chaotic joyride (said salesman yelled the line above to Gordon during said joyride).
The prank spot was a viral smash, with the full-length version having since earned more than 40 million views on YouTube.
You’d figure Gordon and his loyal sponsor would want to replicate that success, right? And so, they’ve released “Test Drive 2.”
This time, Gordon is disguised as an ex-con cab driver. The prank’s target: Jalopnik writer Travis Okulski, who was among those that questioned the authenticity of the original “Test Drive.”
Watch the sequel above and judge for yourself if it stands up to the first. Then read Okulski’s recap of his experience.
- Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race 1
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 1
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 1
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9