Feb 27, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
You couldn’t escape that sound if you watched NASCAR broadcasts last year: “Oh, you’re an idiot and I’m gonna kill you!”
That was from Jeff Gordon and Pepsi’s “Test Drive” film, in which the four-time Sprint Cup champion – disguised as a milquetoast customer that’s supposedly in the market for a new car – takes a salesman for a chaotic joyride (said salesman yelled the line above to Gordon during said joyride).
The prank spot was a viral smash, with the full-length version having since earned more than 40 million views on YouTube.
You’d figure Gordon and his loyal sponsor would want to replicate that success, right? And so, they’ve released “Test Drive 2.”
This time, Gordon is disguised as an ex-con cab driver. The prank’s target: Jalopnik writer Travis Okulski, who was among those that questioned the authenticity of the original “Test Drive.”
Watch the sequel above and judge for yourself if it stands up to the first. Then read Okulski’s recap of his experience.
- Power steals final pole of IndyCar’s 2015 season with new track record at Sonoma 2
- Oriol Servia reflects on his friend Justin Wilson, as he races No. 25 car at Sonoma (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5