Feb 27, 2014, 12:57 PM EST
Force India’s feeling pretty good about their work today at Bahrain International Circuit, and it’s easy to see why.
Sergio Perez was fastest today in the VJM07 with a time of 1:35.290, and was able to crack the 100-lap mark with a total of 105 laps turned on the 3.36-mile course.
“We really needed a good day to start this week and today, we had it,” Perez said. “We managed to do a lot of laps, try several different [tire] compounds and mappings, and it’s been a fantastic day in terms of learning about the car.
“Tomorrow is my last day in the car before the season starts so hopefully we can have another solid day to be in good shape for Melbourne.”
The afternoon was especially impressive for the Mexican and his colleagues, who were able to carry out a full race run.
“The morning was mainly devoted to working on the tires, gathering data about the various compounds at our disposal, in addition to a few performance runs to optimize our set-up,” team technical director Andrew Green said.
“We were satisfied with the results of this work, so in the afternoon we switched to longer runs. We were able to do some good long run simulations, which sets us up nicely for the remainder of the week.”
On Saturday – the final day of the first Bahrain preseason test – Perez had been forced to the garage after just 19 laps due to a drive train issue on the VJM07.
But things appear to be looking up now for the team, which will have Nico Hulkenberg take over for Perez on Saturday and Sunday.
Video from NASCAR America
- Column: Chase Elliott’s promotion perfectly timed for NASCAR 3
- Chase Elliott will replace Jeff Gordon as No. 24 driver next season 4
- Truex’s girlfriend passes milestone in cancer recovery 0
- McLaren reveals Honda-powered MP4-30 for 2015 F1 season 1
- LeBron James’ agent involved in Darrell Wallace Jr.’s hunt for sponsorship 1
- Sponsorship woes leave Jeb Burton scrambling again for a NASCAR ride 3
- Sprint Cup champ Kevin Harvick: “I’m as comfortable as I’ve ever been” 0