Feb 27, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Comedian and singer Tim Wilson, who recorded several NASCAR-themed parody songs that proved to be big hits with the sport’s fans, has died.
Wilson, 52, died Wednesday night of an apparent heart attack in Nashville, according to numerous media reports. The website TheComicsComic.com first broke the news.
A Georgia native, Wilson shot to fame in the 1990s with a freewheeling style that poked fun at numerous topics including politics, rednecks (he co-wrote Jeff Foxworthy’s hit song “Redneck 12 Days of Christmas”) and sports.
It was with NASCAR fans that Wilson made a resounding impression and connection with songs including the aptly-named “The NASCAR Song” (video below), an ode to a driver born in the Talladega SuperSpeedway grandstands and which featured a tongue-twisting chorus that went, “She named me Dale Darrell Waltrip Richard Petty Rusty Awesome Bill Irvin Gordon Earnhardt Smith Johnson, Jr.”
Wilson also wrote another famous parody that characterized Jeff Gordon‘s epic battle’s with Wilson’s beloved Dale Earnhardt.
Fellow comedian Larry the Cable Guy, who spent last weekend at Daytona International Speedway, tweeted his shock and sadness at Wilson’s passing:
“Horrible news. Comedian Tim Wilson passed away tonight. I hope you were one of the lucky ones that got to see him preform. One of the best. Tim was a mentor and friend to a lot of us comedians that started in the south, Him, Foxworthy and James Gregory. One of the big 3. Hat off. My heart goes out to his wife and kids. You’ll be missed Tim and thank you for all the memories.”
Wilson’s last show was Saturday in Bay City, Mich. He was scheduled to headline this weekend at The Comedy Club Stardome near Birmingham, Ala.
“I am very sorry to report that my dear friend Tim Wilson passed away this evening,” Stardome owner Bruce Ayers said on the club’s Facebook page. “I like the entire comedy community am shocked and saddened by this tragic news. Tim was old school, he was on our second show (when the club opened in 1983). I just can’t tell you how much he will be missed.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 0
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 0
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 1
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)