Feb 27, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Comedian and singer Tim Wilson, who recorded several NASCAR-themed parody songs that proved to be big hits with the sport’s fans, has died.
Wilson, 52, died Wednesday night of an apparent heart attack in Nashville, according to numerous media reports. The website TheComicsComic.com first broke the news.
A Georgia native, Wilson shot to fame in the 1990s with a freewheeling style that poked fun at numerous topics including politics, rednecks (he co-wrote Jeff Foxworthy’s hit song “Redneck 12 Days of Christmas”) and sports.
It was with NASCAR fans that Wilson made a resounding impression and connection with songs including the aptly-named “The NASCAR Song” (video below), an ode to a driver born in the Talladega SuperSpeedway grandstands and which featured a tongue-twisting chorus that went, “She named me Dale Darrell Waltrip Richard Petty Rusty Awesome Bill Irvin Gordon Earnhardt Smith Johnson, Jr.”
Wilson also wrote another famous parody that characterized Jeff Gordon‘s epic battle’s with Wilson’s beloved Dale Earnhardt.
Fellow comedian Larry the Cable Guy, who spent last weekend at Daytona International Speedway, tweeted his shock and sadness at Wilson’s passing:
“Horrible news. Comedian Tim Wilson passed away tonight. I hope you were one of the lucky ones that got to see him preform. One of the best. Tim was a mentor and friend to a lot of us comedians that started in the south, Him, Foxworthy and James Gregory. One of the big 3. Hat off. My heart goes out to his wife and kids. You’ll be missed Tim and thank you for all the memories.”
Wilson’s last show was Saturday in Bay City, Mich. He was scheduled to headline this weekend at The Comedy Club Stardome near Birmingham, Ala.
“I am very sorry to report that my dear friend Tim Wilson passed away this evening,” Stardome owner Bruce Ayers said on the club’s Facebook page. “I like the entire comedy community am shocked and saddened by this tragic news. Tim was old school, he was on our second show (when the club opened in 1983). I just can’t tell you how much he will be missed.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- DiZinno: Daytona fence crash ripple effect could extend to other motorsports 4
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 2
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 2
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 1