Feb 28, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
The Hemi motor has had one of the greatest and most profound influences on professional racing over the years, particularly in NASCAR and NHRA drag racing.
Who can forget Richard Petty’s infamous Hemi-powered 1964 Plymouth that not only wound up taking him to victory lane in that year’s Daytona 500, it also powered the top three finishers in that year’s edition of the Great American Race?
Petty led 184 of the 200 laps at a then record-breaking speed of over 154 mph thanks to his Hemi.
The Hemi was so powerful that NASCAR chose to ban it in 1965, only to allow reinstatement of it in 1966 after modifications.
And then there’s the Hemi on the NHRA circuit, where it’s still a staple after decades of use particularly in Top Fuel, Funny Car and Pro Stock.
Can you believe that the legendary Hemi motor will turn 50 years old in April?
Yes, it will, with Dodge’s official anniversary celebration of its potent power plant to be held April 11-13 at the Mopars at the Strip event at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
If you want to get a good history on the Hemi, its development and success, check out ClassicCars.com’s story on the motor and legendary engineer and drag racer Tom Hoover, who helped design and develop perhaps the most notable engine ever made for both race cars and street cars.
“That was a thrilling time, one of the best times of my life, I’ll tell you,” Hoover, now 84, told ClassicCars.com from his home in Denton, Texas.
Check out the whole story about the Hemi and its 50th anniversary at ClassicCars.com and also view the promotional video below from 2007 that also celebrates the Hemi.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 0
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber (VIDEO) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1
- IndyCar beats the rain, Castroneves, Penske beats the field in Barber qualifying (VIDEO) 3
- WSR: Rowland wins Formula Renault 3.5 season-opener at Motorland Aragon 0