Feb 28, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
The Hemi motor has had one of the greatest and most profound influences on professional racing over the years, particularly in NASCAR and NHRA drag racing.
Who can forget Richard Petty’s infamous Hemi-powered 1964 Plymouth that not only wound up taking him to victory lane in that year’s Daytona 500, it also powered the top three finishers in that year’s edition of the Great American Race?
Petty led 184 of the 200 laps at a then record-breaking speed of over 154 mph thanks to his Hemi.
The Hemi was so powerful that NASCAR chose to ban it in 1965, only to allow reinstatement of it in 1966 after modifications.
And then there’s the Hemi on the NHRA circuit, where it’s still a staple after decades of use particularly in Top Fuel, Funny Car and Pro Stock.
Can you believe that the legendary Hemi motor will turn 50 years old in April?
Yes, it will, with Dodge’s official anniversary celebration of its potent power plant to be held April 11-13 at the Mopars at the Strip event at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
If you want to get a good history on the Hemi, its development and success, check out ClassicCars.com’s story on the motor and legendary engineer and drag racer Tom Hoover, who helped design and develop perhaps the most notable engine ever made for both race cars and street cars.
“That was a thrilling time, one of the best times of my life, I’ll tell you,” Hoover, now 84, told ClassicCars.com from his home in Denton, Texas.
Check out the whole story about the Hemi and its 50th anniversary at ClassicCars.com and also view the promotional video below from 2007 that also celebrates the Hemi.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 1
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)