Feb 28, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Another member of the fabled Andretti clan is preparing to carry on and continue the family tradition.
Jarett Andretti – son of John, cousin of Marco, nephew of Michael, grandson of Aldo and great nephew of Mario – is preparing for his first full season of competition in both the USAC National Sprint Car and Silver Crown Series.
Jarett, 21, will race for uncle Michael’s Andretti Autosport Short Track subsidiary, making him a third-generation racer. The team expects to compete in more than 50 races this season.
“Like all drivers, I think about the racing schedule that I may be doing coming into a new season,” Jarett said. “Obviously, we all want to race as much as possible and this year, I could not have wished for a better lineup of races.
“I will be competing all the time in a variety of cars against the toughest competitors in short track racing in the country. I’m really looking forward to this year.”
Although this is his first full-time ride, the youngest racing Andretti is far from being a neophyte when it comes to being around a racetrack. He’s actually entering his fourth season behind the wheel of competitive racing.
He’s steadily progressed in several series, including winning championships in go-karts and the USAC Eastern Ignite Pavement Series. Last season, he competed part-time in Sprint Cars and Silver Crown Cars, earning Rookie of the Year honors in the Sprint Car category at Lawrenceburg (Ind.) Speedway, in the shadow of the famous Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Andretti will drive the Superior Auto Sprint Car in all Midwest USAC races. He will also be behind the wheel of the No.4 Window World Silver Crown car on pavement and the No.14 McQuinn Silver Crown car at all of the dirt track Silver Crown races.
For more information on the latest addition to the Andretti family team of racers, check out Jarett’s web site, JarettAndretti.com, or catch him on Twitter @JarettAndretti.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Aleshin conscious following heavy accident in MAVTV 500 final practice 1
- Kevin Harvick wins Atlanta Sprint Cup pole; Stewart qualifies 12th 0
- Castroneves secures crucial MAVTV 500 pole; Power starts P21 for IndyCar finale (VIDEO) 2
- Jeff Gordon: Last 3 races weren’t the same without Tony Stewart 1
- IndyCar has 500 miles to glory, through speed, dirt, tire fall off and unpredictability 0
- How NASCAR determined Tony Stewart was ready to race again 3
- Helton: Tony Stewart still eligible for Chase, but must win to get in 3