Feb 28, 2014, 12:17 PM EST
Another member of the fabled Andretti clan is preparing to carry on and continue the family tradition.
Jarett Andretti – son of John, cousin of Marco, nephew of Michael, grandson of Aldo and great nephew of Mario – is preparing for his first full season of competition in both the USAC National Sprint Car and Silver Crown Series.
Jarett, 21, will race for uncle Michael’s Andretti Autosport Short Track subsidiary, making him a third-generation racer. The team expects to compete in more than 50 races this season.
“Like all drivers, I think about the racing schedule that I may be doing coming into a new season,” Jarett said. “Obviously, we all want to race as much as possible and this year, I could not have wished for a better lineup of races.
“I will be competing all the time in a variety of cars against the toughest competitors in short track racing in the country. I’m really looking forward to this year.”
Although this is his first full-time ride, the youngest racing Andretti is far from being a neophyte when it comes to being around a racetrack. He’s actually entering his fourth season behind the wheel of competitive racing.
He’s steadily progressed in several series, including winning championships in go-karts and the USAC Eastern Ignite Pavement Series. Last season, he competed part-time in Sprint Cars and Silver Crown Cars, earning Rookie of the Year honors in the Sprint Car category at Lawrenceburg (Ind.) Speedway, in the shadow of the famous Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Andretti will drive the Superior Auto Sprint Car in all Midwest USAC races. He will also be behind the wheel of the No.4 Window World Silver Crown car on pavement and the No.14 McQuinn Silver Crown car at all of the dirt track Silver Crown races.
For more information on the latest addition to the Andretti family team of racers, check out Jarett’s web site, JarettAndretti.com, or catch him on Twitter @JarettAndretti.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 5
- Williams launches new livery, confirms Martini partnership 3
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix 4
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 5
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)
- BHA announces The Collection Auto Group and Castrol as sponsors; driver TBD (5)