Feb 28, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
The Team Penske tandem of Brad Keselowski and Joey Logano will lead the Sprint Cup field to the green flag on Sunday at Phoenix International Raceway after taking the top two spots in the second and final round of knock-out qualifying.
Keselowski posted a lap of 25.828 seconds in the No. 2 Miller Lite Ford, narrowly nipping Logano’s best lap of 25.850 seconds. Logano was fastest in Round One, which saw the 12 fastest drivers go into the ten-minute final round (those 12 competitors had their Round One times reset).
“I’m really proud of Team Penske – they put a lot of effort into being the best we can here after a long 2013 and I think we did a heck of a job,” Keselowski told Motor Racing Network afterwards.
“Both cars 1-2? That’s a heck of an effort and something I’m very proud of for both Joey and the 22 team and obviously my team here on the 2 car…That’s a good start, now we’ve got to make the most of it come Sunday.”
The session featured one incident in Round One involving Justin Allgaier, who crashed in Turn 3.
“I had a good lap going there and unfortunately, I got down into [Turn] 3 and it started to get away,” the Sprint Cup rookie told Fox. “I tried to save it as much as I could but unfortunately here at Phoenix, there’s not a whole lot of room to get out of trouble. It was my mistake – I was trying to get too much from that lap there.”
- DiZinno: Mid-Ohio a dream weekend for Rahal, IndyCar, fans 0
- Dates for 2016 IndyCar schedule starting to come together 7
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 5
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 1
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 4
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 13
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 5