Mar 1, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Red Bull have rubbished rumors emerging from Bahrain that Sebastian Vettel threw a tantrum after a difficult day for the team during testing.
The defending world champions have endured a somewhat nightmarish testing period due to a number of problems with the RB10 car and the new Renault power unit. By lunchtime on day three in Bahrain, Vettel had managed to complete just half a lap after the car came to a stop soon after leaving the pits.
After it was recovered, the team tried to go out again, only for the car to grind to a halt at the end of the pit lane.
On Friday, it was reported by the BBC that Vettel had stormed out of the garage and said: “This is pointless. I’m not driving that again until it’s sorted out.” However, via its Red Bull Spy blog, the team quickly looked to dispel such rumors.
“We do, however, get the opportunity to make our own entertainment, one avenue to which is reading some of the more lurid speculation that’s flying around.
“Our favourite today is the one about Seb apparently having a massive hissy fit in Jerez, refusing to drive the car because it wasn’t very good, and storming off in a huff.
“A major news broadcaster posted the story this morning, along with the line “No-one outside the team knows whether it happened or not, and those on the inside wouldn’t say.”
“Eh? Run that by me again?
“I suppose it could be true. Maybe four world championships really have turned him into a screaming primadonna. Perhaps what really happened is Seb leapt out of the car and started foaming at the mouth. He made a very rude gesture in the direction of Adrian, snarled at Rocky, kicked Ole in the spanners and then stormed out of the garage, saddled his unicorn and rode back to Switzerland.”
The car might be a bit of ‘problem child’, but it’s good to see that the team has not lost its sense of humor.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Team Penske pushing for incredible season (VIDEO) 0
- Lotterer: “F1 (racing) isn’t what it used to be anymore” 0
- Joey Logano avoids “yellow fever,” wins at N.H. to advance in Chase 3
- Wreck involves several Chase drivers; Keselowski spins, suffers minor damage 1
- Rosberg reflects on a tough day in Singapore (VIDEO) 2
- Reports: 2015 Sprint Cup rules package expected to be released on Tuesday 2
- Hamilton rules in Singapore to re-take championship lead as Rosberg retires 1