Mar 2, 2014, 11:20 AM EST
Valtteri Bottas has expressed his enthusiasm after another impressive display on the final day of pre-season testing in Bahrain today.
Bottas finished in second place on the timesheets, just seven-tenths of a second behind Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton. After Felipe Massa finished as the fastest driver on Saturday, Bottas’ pace suggests that Williams will be one of the teams to beat at the opening round of the season in Australia in two weeks’ time.
“I think our final day of testing was very good, right up to a very unlucky failure just one run before the end,” Bottas explained. “Overall, it was a still a good day as we had no other issues throughout and made a lot of progress with the car set-up.
“I think with this amount of testing we are as prepared for Melbourne as we can be. The team has done a great job and thank you also to Mercedes-Benz. We still need to work very hard in these next two weeks but I overall I’m happy with how testing has gone for us.”
Bottas’ sentiments were shared by engineer Rod Nelson, who expressed his delight with the reliability of the FW36 car.
“With an overall team total of 936 laps under our belt, we are still pleased that that is the only time the FW36 has stopped on track throughout testing,” Nelson explained. “We end the pre-season running feeling very happy with the car, power unit, drivers and team. Everything is working together as it should and we are pleased with the direction that the team is going in.”
With reliability being so important for the opening few rounds of the season, Williams appear to be well-placed to make a strong start. However, the fact that this is underlined by an impressive pace means that the team should be capable of beating its total of five points in 2013 with some ease.
Video from NASCAR America
- Ferrari chairman expects another tough season in 2015 0
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 3
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 53
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4