Mar 2, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
Valtteri Bottas has expressed his enthusiasm after another impressive display on the final day of pre-season testing in Bahrain today.
Bottas finished in second place on the timesheets, just seven-tenths of a second behind Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton. After Felipe Massa finished as the fastest driver on Saturday, Bottas’ pace suggests that Williams will be one of the teams to beat at the opening round of the season in Australia in two weeks’ time.
“I think our final day of testing was very good, right up to a very unlucky failure just one run before the end,” Bottas explained. “Overall, it was a still a good day as we had no other issues throughout and made a lot of progress with the car set-up.
“I think with this amount of testing we are as prepared for Melbourne as we can be. The team has done a great job and thank you also to Mercedes-Benz. We still need to work very hard in these next two weeks but I overall I’m happy with how testing has gone for us.”
Bottas’ sentiments were shared by engineer Rod Nelson, who expressed his delight with the reliability of the FW36 car.
“With an overall team total of 936 laps under our belt, we are still pleased that that is the only time the FW36 has stopped on track throughout testing,” Nelson explained. “We end the pre-season running feeling very happy with the car, power unit, drivers and team. Everything is working together as it should and we are pleased with the direction that the team is going in.”
With reliability being so important for the opening few rounds of the season, Williams appear to be well-placed to make a strong start. However, the fact that this is underlined by an impressive pace means that the team should be capable of beating its total of five points in 2013 with some ease.
Video from NASCAR America
- Bubba Wallace pays homage to NASCAR Hall of Famer Wendell Scott with encore win at Martinsville 1
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 8
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 7
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1