Updated: Brad Keselowski will be without crew chief Paul Wolfe for Sunday’s Sprint Cup race in Phoenix
Mar 2, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
UPDATE: Paul and Aleia Wolfe welcomed their first child, Caden Paul Wolfe, early Sunday morning. Brad Keselowski tweeted “Newest Member of the Wolfe Pack! Caden Paul Wolfe” and included this photo (right). The new parents and baby are doing well. Wolfe will rejoin Keselowski this week for next Sunday’s Sprint Cup race in Las Vegas.
One day after helping his driver, Brad Keselowski, earn the pole for Sunday’s The Profit on CNBC 500 with a record-setting performance, crew chief Paul Wolfe will not be atop Keselowski’s pit box for the race itself.
Wolfe flew back on Keselowski’s jet to his North Carolina home early Saturday to be with wife Aleia for the birth of the couple’s first child.
Keselowski tweeted Saturday morning, “Gonna miss having my crew chief Paul Wolfe this Sunday. Best wishes to him and his wife Aleah on the pending birth of their first child.”
Wolfe has been Keselowski’s crew chief since 2011 and was atop the pit box when Keselowski won his first Sprint Cup championship (and the first for team owner Roger Penske) in 2012. Nine of Keselowski’s 10 career Sprint Cup victories have been with Wolfe as his crew chief.
It’s expected that Brian Wilson, team engineer for Keselowski’s No. 2 Ford Fusion, will split crew chief duties with Greg Erwin in Sunday’s race.
Wilson will likely make calls for adjustments on the car, while Erwin, who was Sam Hornish Jr.‘s crew chief last season and formerly was Greg Biffle‘s crew chief in the Sprint Cup Series, will make calls on strategy.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 0
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3