Mar 2, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Even though he won Saturday’s Nationwide Series race for the third straight time, Kyle Busch still had to be feeling a little bit down.
That wouldn’t be Kyle Busch the NASCAR driver, but Kyle Busch the Denver Broncos fan.
Not only did Busch lose a Super Bowl bet with fellow driver Kasey Kahne — forced to spend a full day in the regalia of Kahne’s favorite team, the NFL champion Seattle Seahawks — Busch had to endure even more of Kahne’s boasting Saturday at Phoenix International Raceway.
The reason: Kahne had a special guest with him, Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson.
Wilson spent time with Kahne, including walking through the Sprint Cup garage and watching Happy Hour from atop Kahne’s hauler in the PIR infield, according to a story at USAToday.com.
Wilson wore, what else, a Seahawks-green jacket while hanging with Kahne, a Washington state native and obviously a huge Seahawks fan.
“With Kasey being from the Washington area and all that, he’s a big Seahawks fan and we have a connection,” Wilson said.
Wilson was intrigued by everything he saw Saturday at the track.
“Just how much detail it takes for everything … just how much detail it takes to perfect your game,” Wilson said. “It’s similar in the sense of how I’m such a perfectionist in terms of how I play the game and all that. (Kahne’s) the same way. He’s got a great poise to himself. He’s very calm. That’s what I like about him.”
Wilson and Kahne will co-host a charity golf event and concert called “The Drive” to raise money for the Seattle-area Boys and Girls Club. The event will be held June 23-24, right after the Sprint Cup race at Sonoma on June 22. Several NASCAR drivers and NFL players will likely take part.
“We wanted to do (the charity event) together,” Wilson said. “It’s kind of cool. We’re in different sports worlds, but at the same time, we have a great appreciation for each other. It’s really exciting.”
Which makes one wonder, does Kyle Busch know how to play golf?
Maybe the younger Busch brother and Kahne can have a little side bet on the links. After Busch came up short in picking the Broncos to win the Super Bowl, can you say double or nothing?
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 3
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 4
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 15