Mar 3, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
It may not be the original “Snake Pit” in Turn 1, but the revived and revamped “Snake Pit” in Turn 3 is pulling out all the stops to increase its profile and stature in Indianapolis Motor Speedway lore.
This year, race day will see three DJs – one who’s attained No. 1 worldwide status and two up-and-comers – perform begin starting at 7 a.m. race morning and continue through the end of this year’s Indianapolis 500.
Hardwell (real name Robbert van de Corput), ranked as the world’s No. 1 DJ in the 2013 DJ Mag Top 100 poll, will headline the party in the Snake Pit presented by Miller Lite with DJs NERVO and Dillon Francis also performing. Hardwell is the youngest DJ to attain that award.
“The Snake Pit presented by Miller Lite has become an extremely popular destination for younger fans during the Indianapolis 500,” J. Douglas Boles, Indianapolis Motor Speedway president, said in a release. “Hardwell is one of the hottest electronic music DJs in the world and his appearance on Race Day is proof that the new Snake Pit features the hottest performers for fans who come to enjoy the music and the race. Adding NERVO and Dillon Francis to the musical line-up makes the Snake Pit a ‘must see’ event for electronic music lovers.”
Although this has little to do with the race in terms of the actual race itself, it’s more proof that IMS is continuing to work to attract a younger demographic to the track for the race. And hey, if the fans there happen to get hooked by the speed of 230 mph-plus on offer beyond the beer and booming sound reverberating from the stage, more power to them.
Here’s the video teaser from IMS, announcing the new performers.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 13
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 5
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 47
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2