Mar 3, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Two Top-5 finishes to start the season and setting the Internet ablaze once more in between. This week was a pretty good one for Jeff Gordon.
The four-time Sprint Cup champion ran with the leaders throughout Sunday’s The Profit on CNBC 500 at Phoenix International Raceway before finishing fifth, a nice follow-up performance after a fourth-place result at the Daytona 500.
And of course, between those two solid outings, he and sponsor Pepsi released “Test Drive 2,” in which Gordon (disguised as an ex-con cab driver) took Jalopnik’s Travis Okulski hostage as part of a fake police chase.
The full-length video of the prank has already cruised past 12 million views on YouTube; for comparison’s sake, the original “Test Drive” prank that Gordon and Pepsi pulled off last year has over 41 million views.
“What a week it has been for this No. 24 team,” he said yesterday. “From that top-five in Daytona, the Pepsi Max ‘Test Drive 2′ and then here we are with another top-five here at Phoenix. Great way to start the season.”
While winner Kevin Harvick quickly gained notice for his charge to the front in the early laps, Gordon was also doing the same. Starting 17th, he moved into the Top 10 by Lap 17 of 312.
Late in the race, Gordon pitted under the green flag with 71 laps to go but was caught out a few laps later by a caution. A subsequent wave-around put him back on the lead lap but stuck in traffic within the Top 15.
But Gordon began to work his way back up and was in the Top 10 with 21 laps remaining. He would peel off three more spots before the final caution of the day and then made his way to P5 shortly after the last restart with nine laps to go.
“You know when Ryan Newman is in front of you on a restart, it’s going to get interesting,” Gordon said. “I didn’t know if it was going to get interesting because me and him were side-by-side or because he got side-by-side with somebody else. We were able to capitalize on it.”
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 12
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 5
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 47
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2