Mar 4, 2014, 2:33 PM EST
This year marks the 20th anniversary for one of NASCAR’s bigger charity events – the Kyle Petty Charity Ride Across America. Yesterday, the Ride revealed the 2014 route for the cross-country motorcycle run.
On Sat., May 3, a group of more than 175 riders will begin their 2,800-mile trek from Carlsbad, California. One week later on Sat., May 10, they’ll arrive in Daytona Beach, Florida.
The Ride will raise money and awareness for the Petty family’s Victory Junction Camp, which gives children stricken with chronic and life-threatening illnesses the chance to have fun and enjoy being kids.
Over the last decade, the Camp – which was created in 2004 in honor of Kyle’s late son, Adam – has hosted more than 7,730 children at no cost to their families thanks to the Ride.
“What began as just a few friends having a good time riding track to track has turned into what we have today, which is an incredible event that provides thousands of life changing experiences for children,” Kyle said in a press release.
“This is the first year we’ve traveled straight from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean, and I’m looking forward to experiencing it with friends, while meeting our fans and generous supporters along the way.”
Among the luminaries set to take part in all or part of this year’s 20th Anniversary Ride are:
- Kyle’s father, seven-time Sprint Cup champion Richard Petty
- 2003 Sprint Cup champion Matt Kenseth
- Former NASCAR driver and Bo-Dyn Olympic bobsled founder Geoff Bodine
- NASCAR legends Harry Gant and Donnie Allison
- Former NFL great Herschel Walker
- Former member of the U.S. House of Representatives Col. Allen West
- Co-host of History Channel’s Top Gear America and NASCAR personality Rutledge Wood
Here’s the day-by-day route. Fans can follow the riders daily through the Ride’s Facebook page and on Twitter and Instagram at both @KylePetty and @KPCharityRide.
- Day 1 Saturday, May 3 – Carlsbad, Calif. to Tucson, Ariz.
- Day 2 Sunday, May 4 – Tucson, Ariz. to Las Cruces, N.M.
- Day 3 Monday, May 5 – Las Cruces, N.M. to Midland, Texas
- Day 4 Tuesday, May 6 – Midland, Texas to Austin, Texas
- Day 5 Wednesday, May 7 – Austin, Texas to Beaumont, Texas
- Day 6 Thursday, May 8 – Beaumont, Texas to New Orleans
- Day 7 Friday, May 9 – New Orleans to Tallahassee, Fla.
- Day 8 Saturday, May 10 – Tallahassee, Fla. to Daytona Beach, Fla.
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three 0
- Happy 75th birthday to one of the best ever, Mario Andretti 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0
- Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering 3
- FIA issues updated F1 entry list including “Manor Marussia” 3