Mar 4, 2014, 7:25 PM EST
Martin Truex Jr. was apparently caught off-guard at the fact that he’ll be making his 300th career Sprint Cup start this weekend at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
“I had absolutely no idea that my 300th start is coming up,” he said in a Chevy release. “I’ve been blessed to be with some great race teams and have enjoyed plenty of fond memories. Looking back, it seems like a long time ago that I made my first start but it really wasn’t.
“They say when you’re having fun, time flies, and in my case that is so true because I have had an incredible amount of fun over the years.”
Truex made Cup start No. 1 on October 31, 2004 at Atlanta Motor Speedway in a Dale Earnhardt Inc. car. He finished 37th that day due to an engine problem that knocked him out late in the running.
In 2006, Truex achieved full-time Cup status with DEI and in 2007, he earned his first Cup win at Dover International Speedway. However, it would be another six years and 218 races before the New Jersey native returned to Victory Lane at Sonoma Raceway as a driver for Michael Waltrip Racing.
Right now, Truex and his new Furniture Row Racing team are looking for their first strong result of the season in Las Vegas. Truex had an engine blow on him at the Daytona 500 and last Sunday at Phoenix, a lack of grip on his No. 78 Chevy relegated him to a 22nd place finish.
“Las Vegas will be another good test to see where we are at with the new rules package for the 2014 car,” he said. “The first two races have not turned out the way we had expected, but we’ve also had some positive signs.
“It would be nice to look back and remember how successful the 300th start was.”
Truex has claimed two Top-10 finishes in his last three starts at Las Vegas, including an eighth-place finish last year for MWR.
Video from NASCAR America
- IndyCar champ Will Power has hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 0
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 13
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1
- Sprint to end title sponsorship of NASCAR’s Cup Series after 2016 (VIDEO) 17