Mar 5, 2014, 3:08 PM EDT
In a quarter-century as a team owner, Chip Ganassi’s teams have competed in pretty much every major NASCAR, IndyCar and sports car race you can think of — except the 12 Hours of Sebring.
The formidable multi-team owner can soon scratch that legendary race off his bucket list, as Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates will field not one but now two Prototypes for this year’s TUDOR United SportsCar Championship’s 12 Hours of Sebring on March 15 at the central Florida road course.
Ganassi had previously announced he would enter the No. 01 Telcel Ford EcoBoost Riley with 2013 and 2010 LMP2 American LeMans Series champ Marino Franchitti (Dario’s brother), Scott Pruett and Memo Rojas splitting driving duties.
Wednesday, CGR announced a second team that will pilot the No. 02 Comfort Revolution/Big Machine Records Ford EcoBoost Riley. Sharing driving duties will be three-time and reigning IndyCar Series champ Scott Dixon, Target IndyCar Series teammate and reigning Indianapolis 500 winner Tony Kanaan and reigning Indy Lights champ Sage Karam.
CGRFS is a seven-time GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car champion (2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013) and five-time Rolex 24 at Daytona winner (2006, 2007, 2008, 2011 and 2013).
“Doings things like adding a second car could not come about without the support of great partners like Big Machine and Comfort Revolution,” Steve Lauletta, president of CGRFS, said in a statement. “These partnerships allow us the opportunity to make a strong first impression and perform well in our first-ever trip to Sebring.
“The 12 hours is a historic race and having two entries with the addition of Tony, Scott, Marino and Sage is a key to us doing that.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Gene Haas’ F1 team changes team name, launches new pages 3
- Cindric proposes IndyCar champion Will Power will run No. 1 in 2015 2
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 1
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 3
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 5
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1