Mar 5, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
JJ Yeley will return to a full-time ride in the Sprint Cup Series for this weekend’s Kobalt 400 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway with his new team, Xxxtreme Motorsport.
The original gameplan was for Yeley to make his debut last weekend at Phoenix, his hometown, but those plans were pushed back one week to this weekend’s Sprint Cup event at Las Vegas, Sunday’s Kobalt 400. The team will be sponsored for at least several races, including Sunday’s, by Phoenix Warehouse of New Jersey and California, a first-time NASCAR sponsor.
If anything, the delay has only further stoked the fire within Yeley.
“I am very eager to make my debut in the No. 44 Phoenix Warehouse Xxxtreme Motorsport Chevrolet,” Yeley said in a press release from the team. “Las Vegas Motor Speedway is where I started my career ten years ago.
“I am excited to get back out on track and back competing against other drivers while starting with a fresh team. I am looking to take my new team to a higher level and get some great finishes this season.”
Xxxtreme Motorsport team owner John Cohen said the team will compete full-time on the Sprint Cup circuit from that point on.
Yeley, 37, has two top-five and eight top-10 finishes in 202 career Sprint Cup starts, dating back to 2004. He spent last season with Tommy Baldwin Racing.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 0
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3