Mar 6, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
IndyCar’s newest 2014 rookie, Jack Hawksworth, has taken a moment to reflect on the last few months that has seen him move from unheralded prospect to a full-time race seat with Bryan Herta Autosport this year.
The 23-year-old Englishman from Bradford wrote a few words on his website, chronicling the run from the end of the Indy Lights season with Schmidt Peterson Motorsports to his first few IndyCar tests.
“Well what a rollercoaster ride this winter has been!” he wrote. “I have to say if you had asked me a month ago would I be racing in Indycar this season, I don’t think I would have bet a penny on it.
“A combination of a good test, a little momentum and a lot of hard work has landed me with a dream opportunity and I couldn’t be more anymore delighted.”
Hawksworth won a trio of Lights races, all on street courses, at St. Petersburg, Toronto and Baltimore. But while he won those three, he finished behind his two SPM teammates Sage Karam and Gabby Chaves in the points standings.
He then tested with Dale Coyne Racing in December and BHA in February prior to being named the BHA driver on Wednesday.
“Despite winning three races last season it was an extremely difficult year for a number of a reasons,” he admitted. “To have been rewarded for our persistence and strength in the face of adversity is fantastic and also a touch surprising!”
Hawksworth will have one more opportunity to test, at the series’ official preseason test at Barber Motorsports Park March 17-18.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: One Sprint Cup title not enough for Brad Keselowski (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s Mikhail Aleshin released from Indianapolis hospital 0
- DA will submit evidence from Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. case to grand jury 12
- Renault’s Taffin: Fuel consumption could well be an issue in Singapore 1
- Jeff Gordon makes strong ‘Drive For Five’ start, also has high praise for Kyle Larson in Chase opener 2
- Keselowski surges between Harvick, Larson to win Chase opener at Chicagoland 0
- For 16 Sprint Cup drivers, the time is here: ready, set, Chase 0