Mar 6, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
NHRA star Antron Brown is watching the career of budding NASCAR star Darrell “Bubba” Wallace quite closely.
As the first African-American driver to win an NHRA championship (Top Fuel, 2012), Brown is proud of what the young Wallace has done thus far in his career, including winning a Camping World Trucks Series race last fall at Martinsville (see video below), becoming the first African-American driver to win a major series NASCAR event since Wendell Scott in 1964.
Brown was asked in this week’s NHRA teleconference if he has any advice for Wallace as he continues to climb the drag racing success ladder.
“Well, my advice would be to Darrell to keep doing what he’s doing,” Brown said. “I’m actually really good friends with Darrell. He has a really good demeanor where he’s definitely got an open mind and is eager to learn and his determination.
“My deal is for him not to ever lose that. To never get to a point where you think you are the best. Even if you won that championship or you won a race, to never let that stuff sidetrack you, but to always keep focused, keep working and keep building.
“That’s why you look at people like Jimmie Johnson. A lot of people look at him and how many championships he’s won. Jimmie’s won championships, but as soon as that day is over and he’s got that championship check and trophy, that joker is back in the gym, he’s training. He’s still honing his skills to be better.
“That’s one thing that I would tell Darrell. He’s got the talent, he’s got the drive, but to never stop working. To always constantly improve himself. When you do that, you stay on top of the curve and you stay at the top of your game.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Caterham denies future is at risk despite goods being seized 2
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 11
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 24
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3