Mar 7, 2014, 3:43 PM EDT
For the next month or so, don’t be surprised if Greg Biffle starts to act a little like Dracula — a good and well-meaning Dracula, mind you.
No, Biffle wasn’t recently bitten by a bat, became rabid and transformed into a vampire who wants to suck your blood.
But Biffle definitely wants the red stuff that flows through your veins as part of a major drive to raise awareness and collect much needed blood for the Red Cross.
Starting this weekend in Las Vegas and running for the next five races – Bristol, Fontana, Martinsville, Texas and ending at Darlington – NASCAR fans are encouraged to roll up their sleeves and donate — even right at the race track, where Red Cross personnel will be stationed.
Biffle’s No. 16 Roush Fenway Racing Ford will carry the first of two special #ImProud2Give paint schemes at this weekend’s race in Las Vegas. The other paint scheme will be for the conclusion of the blood drive at Darlington.
Fans that want to donate blood are asked to make an online appointment at RedCrossBlood.org, which supplies about 40 percent of the blood in the U.S.
The best part of the promotion is that one lucky fan and donor will be chosen from entries to add his or her name to the hood of Biffle’s car at Darlington.
“As a blood donor, I can help save a life,” Biffle said. “I’ve met people across the country who are with us today because of a blood donation. The gift of a blood donation cannot be replaced by anything else in the world, and it means a world of difference to those in need.”
Drac Biffle – it’s got a pretty good ring to it, don’t you think?
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Bubba Wallace pays homage to NASCAR Hall of Famer Wendell Scott with encore win at Martinsville 1
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 8
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 7
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1