Mar 7, 2014, 3:43 PM EDT
For the next month or so, don’t be surprised if Greg Biffle starts to act a little like Dracula — a good and well-meaning Dracula, mind you.
No, Biffle wasn’t recently bitten by a bat, became rabid and transformed into a vampire who wants to suck your blood.
But Biffle definitely wants the red stuff that flows through your veins as part of a major drive to raise awareness and collect much needed blood for the Red Cross.
Starting this weekend in Las Vegas and running for the next five races – Bristol, Fontana, Martinsville, Texas and ending at Darlington – NASCAR fans are encouraged to roll up their sleeves and donate — even right at the race track, where Red Cross personnel will be stationed.
Biffle’s No. 16 Roush Fenway Racing Ford will carry the first of two special #ImProud2Give paint schemes at this weekend’s race in Las Vegas. The other paint scheme will be for the conclusion of the blood drive at Darlington.
Fans that want to donate blood are asked to make an online appointment at RedCrossBlood.org, which supplies about 40 percent of the blood in the U.S.
The best part of the promotion is that one lucky fan and donor will be chosen from entries to add his or her name to the hood of Biffle’s car at Darlington.
“As a blood donor, I can help save a life,” Biffle said. “I’ve met people across the country who are with us today because of a blood donation. The gift of a blood donation cannot be replaced by anything else in the world, and it means a world of difference to those in need.”
Drac Biffle – it’s got a pretty good ring to it, don’t you think?
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 0
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 3
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 6
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0