Mar 7, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Michael Schumacher’s condition has not changed as the seven-time Formula 1 world champion is still being awoken from his coma, according to manager Sabine Kehm.
Schumacher suffered severe head injuries in a skiing accident at the end of December, and has been in a medically-induced coma ever since. It was revealed last month that efforts were being made to awaken the 45-year-old by gradually reducing his sedation, but a lack of updates had prompted many to fear the worst.
However, Kehm made clear that the wake-up process is a lengthy one, and that only information coming directly from those monitoring his condition should be considered valid.
“Michael is still in the wake up phase,” a statement from Kehm read. “The situation has not changed.
“Any medical information published which is not confirmed by the team of doctors treating Michael or has management has to be considered as not valid.”
Kehm’s comments follow a number of reports and quotes from neurologists that, despite having expertise in the field, are not directly caring for Schumacher. With head injuries being incredibly difficult to fully analyse and understand, any information or diagnosis given by those that are not associated with his care must be treated as pure speculation.
It was confirmed last month that the investigation into Schumacher’s accident had been closed, concluding that there was no criminal wrongdoing on the part of the ski resort or designers of his equipment.
Video from NASCAR America
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 0
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 2
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 5
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 10
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 14