Mar 8, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
We have a new blogger in the NASCAR ranks, and it’s none other than 2012 Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski.
The outspoken Team Penske driver has already shown to be quite adept with social media, but now he’s turned his sights on blogging at his official web site.
Prior to joining JR Motorsports mid-way during the 2007 season, Keselowski had been battling to maintain his place in the sport. He had moved into the Nationwide Series that year but the small team he was driving for went bankrupt.
But in June of that year, everything aligned for him. He suited up for Germain Racing in a Camping World Truck Series event to replace a suspended driver.
As it turned out, Dale Jr. – who had met Keselowski earlier that year and recently released his previous Nationwide driver – was watching. We’ll let Brad explain the rest:
The night I ran the truck race for the suspended driver, it went well. I had qualified us on the pole. I was running really well and was winning the race until I was wrecked from behind late. As Dale later told it to me, he was actually watching the race on TV. He needed a driver for his car, he saw me, and he thought, “This is easy. Let’s put him in.”
He called me up the next day when I was flying back to Michigan. “I’d like you to drive my car,” he said. “Come on down here and check it out.”
So I did.
And the rest was history. Keselowski would remain with JRM through the 2009 season before moving up to Sprint Cup full-time – and also winning the Nationwide title – in 2010 with Team Penske.
Two years later, he’d bring Roger Penske his first Cup championship.
We suggest you click the link above for the full story – and then bookmark Keselowski’s blog for future tales. Surely, he’s got more good ones to tell.
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 0
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 2
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1