Mar 8, 2014, 1:21 AM EDT
We’re not saying that his fans are going to go out and bet the farm, but Dale Earnhardt Jr. has some pretty good odds heading into Sunday’s Kobalt 400 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
So say some of the bigger oddsmakers in the business.
After winning the season-opening Daytona 500 and finishing second in last Sunday’s race in Phoenix, Junior comes into Sunday’s dash in Sin City as among the top picks to win – or at least do very, very well.
According to SportingNews.com, William Hill, one of the biggest bookmakers in the world, is rather bullish on Earnhardt, giving him 8-to-1 odds to win.
But there’s a caveat: Earnhardt is not the favorite to win Sunday.
Then comes Junior at 8-1.
By comparison, Vegas Insiders has Johnson as a 5-1 favorite, followed by Kenseth and Kyle Busch (both at 7-1), a big surprise in picking Kasey Kahne (8-1) and finally Junior, Harvick, 2012 Sprint Cup champ Brad Keselowski and Denny Hamlin, all at 10-1 odds.
Hill also likes Keselowski’s chances, scoring him at 10-1 odds as well as Hamlin and Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Kyle Busch.
One thing that both Hill and Vegas Insiders agree on is the ultimate longshot: Danica Patrick.
Hill gives Patrick 200-1 odds to win Sunday, while Vegas Insiders isn’t as kind, making Patrick a 500-1 pick to win.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 0
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 6
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 2
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 6
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2
- Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency 0
- Hinchcliffe released from hospital, expected to make full recovery (VIDEO) 5