Mar 8, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Although a number of Sprint Cup drivers were quite vocal Friday about NASCAR’s new “knockout” qualifying system, particularly when their cars enter pit road and how to keep their motors cool when not making qualifying laps, NASCAR will likely keep the format as is for the time being.
“We’re going to sit for a while, field all the questions and see what happens,” Robin Pemberton, NASCAR vice president of competition and racing development, said Saturday morning according to NASCAR.com. “It’s a very small snapshot of qualifying so far.”
Pemberton said he and other officials have spoken with a number of drivers who have expressed concern about the new system, which utilized the three-segment system for non-restrictor plate tracks larger than 1.25 miles for the first time Friday.
“We’re listening,” he said. “We told them it’s too early to tell (if tweaks are necessary).
“Other than the cars running around on the bottom and you had one or two complain that it was a close call … again, we’re listening to them, but we want to take a better snapshot of it.”
Pemberton said the sanctioning body will continue to monitor the situation and then determine if changes are necessary.
“Everybody’s working through this stuff,” Pemberton said. “There’s a lot that’s new, new to our officials, new to the race teams. Anytime there is a question, officials are told to call the tower (for confirmation).”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 0
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 0
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 2
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10
- UPDATED: Chase contender Kyle Busch back on track after Lap 102 crash (VIDEO) 0