Mar 9, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Former Formula 1 driver Gerhard Berger has broken his arm whilst skiing in Austria earlier this week, just two months after Michael Schumacher’s accident in the French Alps.
According to Austrian publication Kronen Zeitung, Berger, 54, was skiing off-piste in Austria on Thursday amid foggy conditions that meant visibility was low. He crashed into a hillside drainage pipe and had to be airlifted to the nearby St Johann am Tirol hospital.
Having broken his arm, Berger was kept in hospital for a few days before being discharged over the weekend.
The Austrian claimed ten grands prix victories across the course of his thirteen year long F1 career, driving for Ferrari and McLaren. Following the fallout between Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost, Berger left Ferrari to replace the Frenchman at McLaren, and forged a good friendship with Senna during their time together.
Berger retired from F1 in 1997, famously winning the German Grand Prix that year at Hockenheim. Since then, he has been instrumental in the entry of Toro Rosso to Formula 1 in 2006, and most recently he has been tasked by the FIA with re-structuring the junior motorsport ladder.
Michael Schumacher remains in a medically-induced coma after suffering severe head injuries in an accident back in December. The latest news from his management is that the seven-time world champion is still in the ‘wake-up’ phase, and that there has been no change in his condition.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 80
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 4
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 11
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1