Mar 9, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
If you’re heading Down Under for the Australian Grand Prix next weekend, it might be an idea to take an umbrella: rain is forecast.
Although the race is still one week away, and the weather is never something to truly count on, it is undoubtedly something that the drivers and teams heading to Melbourne will be keeping an eye on. With an unpredictable race on the cards thanks to the new regulations, new cars and new era of F1 that is beginning, such drama may be accentuated by a wet grand prix.
According to a number of sources, including the Met Office in the UK, rain is set to fall throughout the day on March 16th, meaning that a wet grand prix could be on the cards at Albert Park.
Rainfall is expected to be most intense between 4pm and 9pm, with the race starting at 5pm local time.
Over the past few years, the race has rarely gone ahead without some sort of weather drama. Last season, qualifying was delayed after torrential rain meant the drivers could not safely venture out on track. After splashing through Q1, Q2 and Q3 were held on Sunday morning ahead of the race in the afternoon. This year, no rain is forecast for Saturday, meaning that drivers should get a chance to try out their new cars in the dry before the race.
Should the race indeed be declared ‘wet’, it would be the first since the 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix after a dry 2013 season, with the exception a few laps at the beginning of the Malaysian Grand Prix.
You can watch the Australian Grand Prix LIVE on NBCSN without having to worry about the weather, so be sure to check out the full schedule here.
Video from NASCAR America
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 0
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 4
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 2